Author Topic: Ozawa is back: fine new M1 w/ Saito Kinen Orch.  (Read 9089 times)

Offline John Kim

Re: Ozawa is back: fine new M1 w/ Saito Kinen Orch.
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2009, 07:10:38 PM »
I'm not surprised that it's enjoyable. His Boston M3 is fabulous - hugely underrated.

Barry
Not just enjoyable, it's one of the very best.

The coupled M6th is also very good and I am not all that disappointed with the sonics either.

John,

Offline akiralx

Re: Ozawa is back: fine new M1 w/ Saito Kinen Orch.
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2009, 08:25:24 AM »

Ozawa's earlier M1 on DG and later M2 and M9 on Sony are at least equal or better than the ones on Philips. But the point is, he is a very fine Mahler conductor wherever and whenever he conducts the symphonies.

John,

I think the DG M1 and Philips M5 are the only ones still available. I know the M1 (including Blumine) gets good reviews and I may get it soon - is the M5 also good?
Yes, Ozawa's M5 pretty darn good. I quite like it. The only quibble I can take is, although he gets everything right - tempo, balancing, dynamics - the performance overall is somewhat too lean and streamlined.
John,

I listened to the Ozawa DG M1 and maybe feel that it too is is a little lean and streamlined especially in the inner movements, though very well (and excitingly) played.  Maybe the urbane sheen of the BSO isn't ideally suited to the rusticity of the work.  Blumine (recorded later I believe) is very nicely done.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk