Author Topic: 1893 version of Mahler's First  (Read 6819 times)

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
1893 version of Mahler's First
« on: February 17, 2007, 09:14:08 PM »
Here is an interesting article regarding the 1889 and 1893 versions of the work that would become Mahler's 1st Symphony.  Here it is as a pdf file to download.  It's over twenty pages, but I'm sure alot here will find it interesting to consider.

The 1889 Version of Mahler's First Symphony: A New Manuscript Source
by Stephen McClatchie
19th-Century Music, Vol. 20, No. 2, Special Mahler Issue. (Autumn, 1996), pp. 99-124.
http://www.sendspace.com/file/d0jzsi

Does anyone have any recordings of the 1893 version that uses the 1893 orchestration?  What do you think?

« Last Edit: February 18, 2007, 06:55:42 PM by Leo K »

Offline barry guerrero

Re: 1893 version of Mahler's First
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2007, 08:05:48 AM »
Two of them. The Simax one is refered to as a Hamburg version, while the Hungaroton recording calls theirs a Wiemar version. Both would include "Blumine", which came after the first movement.

MAHLER: "Titan - eine Tondichtung in Symphonieform" *(1893 Hamburg Version of the First Symphony) Piano Quartet in A Minor **(movement)   *Norrkoping Symphony Orchestra conducted by Ole Kristian Ruud  **Mats Jansson and Members of the Holmen Quartet  Simax PSC 1150

Composer: Gustav Mahler
Conductor: Zsolt Hamar
Orchestra: Hungary Pannon Philharmonic Orchestra - Pécs
Audio CD (March 29, 2005)
Label: Hungaroton
ASIN: B0007WFXY4

« Last Edit: February 18, 2007, 08:11:31 AM by barry guerrero »

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2007, 05:34:07 PM »
Thanks alot Barry!  I just ordered the 2nd option, the Hamar recording, which gets a good review from Hurwitz:

This is the best recording so far of the original, "symphonic poem" version of Mahler's First Symphony. It naturally includes "Blumine" as the second movement, and returns to the initial, comparatively modest scoring (which, typically, sounds thicker and busier than Mahler's later revisions). The playing of the Pannon Philharmonic Orchestra of Pécs, Hungary, is really quite good, with lively winds and confident brass, and the sonics allow us to clearly hear the substantial differences in orchestration that constitute the principal reason to sample this version in the first place. Conductor Zsolt Hamar also interprets the piece characterfully, particularly in the Klezmer sections of the funeral march. The first movement flows freshly, the scherzo similarly displays a good measure of rustic vigor, and the finale has plenty of the necessary excitement. There hasn't been a lot of choice for this edition: both Wynn Morris' old version and the more recent Simax were pretty uninteresting, so if you're looking for Mahler's first thoughts, then this is the way to go.

--David Hurwitz

pincopallino

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2007, 12:29:04 PM »
Barry,
don't forget the Wakasugi recording with the Tokyo Metropolitan SO on Fontec.

Offline mike bosworth

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2007, 02:41:35 PM »

This is the best recording so far of the original, "symphonic poem" version of Mahler's First Symphony. It naturally includes "Blumine" as the second movement, and returns to the initial, comparatively modest scoring (which, typically, sounds thicker and busier than Mahler's later revisions). The playing of the Pannon Philharmonic Orchestra of Pécs, Hungary, is really quite good, with lively winds and confident brass, and the sonics allow us to clearly hear the substantial differences in orchestration that constitute the principal reason to sample this version in the first place. Conductor Zsolt Hamar also interprets the piece characterfully, particularly in the Klezmer sections of the funeral march. The first movement flows freshly, the scherzo similarly displays a good measure of rustic vigor, and the finale has plenty of the necessary excitement. There hasn't been a lot of choice for this edition: both Wynn Morris' old version and the more recent Simax were pretty uninteresting, so if you're looking for Mahler's first thoughts, then this is the way to go.

--David Hurwitz

Hurwitz is not quite right here.  As pointed out in the excellent article by Prof. McClatchie that Leo K was kind enough to make available for download, the Hamburg version does not represent Mahler's very first thoughts on M1, particularly as regards instrumentation and some significant stretches of music towards the end of the Finale (eg, Mahler originally wrote down a verbatim recap of the opening bars of the Finale--cymbal crash etc. etc.).  This original Budapest/1889 version analyzed in McClatchie's piece is yet to be recorded as far as I know (the bound volumes are missing Blumine, which is unlikely to have been altered later anyway (probably pulled intact from Mahler's "Trompeter" music), and the 'Frere Jacques' movement, not yet found).

Mike Bosworth
Vientiane

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2007, 03:21:47 PM »

--David Hurwitz

Hurwitz is not quite right here.  As pointed out in the excellent article by Prof. McClatchie that Leo K was kind enough to make available for download, the Hamburg version does not represent Mahler's very first thoughts on M1, particularly as regards instrumentation and some significant stretches of music towards the end of the Finale (eg, Mahler originally wrote down a verbatim recap of the opening bars of the Finale--cymbal crash etc. etc.).  This original Budapest/1889 version analyzed in McClatchie's piece is yet to be recorded as far as I know (the bound volumes are missing Blumine, which is unlikely to have been altered later anyway (probably pulled intact from Mahler's "Trompeter" music), and the 'Frere Jacques' movement, not yet found).

Mike Bosworth
Vientiane

I hope someome records the original/Budapest 1889 version someday.  Although the 'Frere Jacques'" movement is lost, I wonder how different the Budapest version would be in comparison to the 1893 version.

Offline chris

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2007, 03:48:28 AM »
Barry,
don't forget the Wakasugi recording with the Tokyo Metropolitan SO on Fontec.

I don't know if this is allowed in these parts, but this link was posted forthe Wakasugi....my understanding is that the recording is out of print (therefore buying it on the second hand market will not benefit any of the artists).

http://rapidshare.de/files/34802707/Wakasugi_Titan.zip

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2007, 06:49:02 AM »
Thank you very very much Chris  ;D

Ivor

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2007, 07:03:52 PM »
  Morris's 1893 version may not be a knockout and it was a pleasue to hear it recently and remember how a particularly startling bit of it so struck me when i heard about it in the early 70s.

For those who haven't heard it,i won't give it away,so you can enjoy the surprise.

Ivot

P.S. I claim post no. 1000 !!!!!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk