Author Topic: Slatkin's M2  (Read 4574 times)

Offline Karafan

Slatkin's M2
« on: August 06, 2009, 12:39:07 PM »
Is DH on Classics Today alone in rating the Saltkin M2 on Telarc as 10/10?  I have not heard it.

The BBC CD review messageboarders definitley don't rate it as a performance or interpretation, though they do agree the sound is great for a 20 year old recording. What about Battle & Forrester?

Your views please, gentlemen?

K.

Offline John Kim

Re: Slatkin's M2
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2009, 04:28:06 PM »
I'd agree with DH, i.e., give it (the SACD version) 10/10.

A musically very solid, extremely well recorded M2nd.

The original CD release didn't sound this good though.

John,

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2009, 05:22:56 PM »
It's a performance that gets better as it goes along. In other words, the first movement isn't the best. But then things improve noticeably. However, with so many great options available today, I'd probably move it down to 9/10 or 8/10.

Barry

Offline Damfino

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2009, 07:45:14 PM »
Slatkin's CD version was the first Mahler 2 on CD that I purchased, I think around 1985. There was very little Mahler on CD in those days, so I had to have it as #2 is my favorite, and I hung onto the recording for quite awhile. IMO, it was pretty impressive "in its day".

As more Mahler became available, I turned to the recording less and less. I agree with Barry that the first movement is not really exciting in the Slatkin recording (many M 2s don't have exciting first movements, IMO), but it is certainly a fine recording and performance over all. I think I sold mine when I got Blomstedt's recording with the SFSO, which I felt had a thrilling first movement.

I don't have Slatkin's SACD version, but there are so many extremely well recorded 2nds out there now, I doubt it has any better sonics than the best out there.

Offline John Kim

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2009, 08:37:08 PM »
I don't have Slatkin's SACD version, but there are so many extremely well recorded 2nds out there now, I doubt it has any better sonics than the best out there.
Get the SACD by all means. You'll change your opinion more positively after hearing the remastered version  ;).

John,

Offline mahlerei

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2009, 12:26:26 AM »
Hi Karafan

We have 'met' on the R3 board. I'm sorry to disagree with the other posters here but this Mahler 2 is simply awful. I managed to sit through it once and then sold it on Amazon Marketplace. My loss, I'm sure, but with so many fine M2s about this doesn't get a look in.

As for Mr Hurwitz I've disagreed with him before and no doubt will do so again. Most recently he dissed Kristjan Jarvi recording of Bernstein's Mass, which I think is splendid in every way.

You should be able to get the Slatkin cheaply enough on Amazon Marketplace, so why not try it for yourself?
« Last Edit: August 07, 2009, 12:29:53 AM by mahlerei »

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2009, 01:10:05 AM »
"You should be able to get the Slatkin cheaply enough on Amazon Marketplace"

Yes, but I would also urge Karafan to go for the sacd/cd hybrid version. The DSD upgrade does make a noticeable difference, even on a plain-old CD player.

Offline Karafan

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2009, 01:30:43 PM »
Thank you very much, everyone, for your valued input!

(nice to 'meet' you too, Mahlerei! ;D)

K.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk