Author Topic: Slatkin M2  (Read 8278 times)

Wunderhorn

Slatkin M2
« on: February 22, 2007, 12:15:36 AM »
Just got Slatkin's M2 from B&N at only $18 and supposedly it is a SACD. I read the review at the site and also at Amazon. I've always been a fan of Kathleen Battle since I heard her in Adriane auf Naxos with Levine on DG, just as good as Sinopoli's if you ask me. I read the Slatkin stuck to the score without many characterizations by the conductor. After hearing how Chailly's did his M2, I'm definitely in the mood for 'by the book'. Does anyone own the SACD of Slatkin's M2?

Offline barry guerrero

Re: Slatkin M2
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2007, 12:20:24 AM »
Slatkin's M2 is a good, "by the book" performance. It starts a bit cold and perfunctory, but it gets  better as it goes. The fifth movement is really quite good. I think it's been superceded by only by a select few; perhaps Levi/Atlanta, and now more certainly by Fischer/Budapest F.O. Of course, Klemperer and Walter made great recordings of M2 much earlier. If the first movement doesn't knock you out, just remember that it gets better as it goes along.

Barry
« Last Edit: February 22, 2007, 06:57:20 AM by barry guerrero »

Offline sperlsco

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2007, 04:18:18 PM »
This has always been one of my favorite M2's.  I have the SACD version and also an early version that came out in a leatherette box.  It is indeed a fairly "by the book" performance, but to my ears Slatkin doesn't smooth anything over, has well felt tempos, and does a great job with the percussion throughout (esp tam-tams and cymbals).  The ending has a perfect combination of organ, bells, tam-tams, and brass.  The singing (soloists and choir) is superb.   The sound is much improved on the SACD and even the CD layer of the SACD. 

So this may be "by the book", but it is done exceptionally well IMO. 
Scott

BorisG

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2007, 05:17:58 PM »
Just got Slatkin's M2 from B&N at only $18 and supposedly it is a SACD. I read the review at the site and also at Amazon. I've always been a fan of Kathleen Battle since I heard her in Adriane auf Naxos with Levine on DG, just as good as Sinopoli's if you ask me. I read the Slatkin stuck to the score without many characterizations by the conductor. After hearing how Chailly's did his M2, I'm definitely in the mood for 'by the book'. Does anyone own the SACD of Slatkin's M2?

Telarc did a nice job, but I would not recommend it for performance. It dragged with pause and underplay from the beginning. As you say, Leonard did not apply punch liberally, and he lost me early because of it. A respectable finale, but how many stayed around for that? Probably more these days, with a seemingly growing preference for slacky-lacky Mahler.

In conclusion, if someone would like to sample Leonard and St. Louis Mahler (not many commercial choices), then reach for their Mahler 1, also on Telarc. This chugs along admirably. The brass and percussion do some nice work together.

mr. woodford

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2007, 10:13:12 PM »
there is indeed an SACD, but it's 2-channel only, no surround.  it was taken directly from the original soundstream 50khz tapes. in the late '70s, telarc made a series of early digital recordings using this process, and they all sound wonderful.

Offline John Kim

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2007, 07:19:52 AM »
Slatikin's RCA recording of Mazzetti's first version of a complete M10th is also excellent. Unfortunately, Mazzetti's later edition has been heavily favored by critics over the first one (so is Lopez-Cobos's Telarc recording over this one). It is currently OOP but well worth hunting for.

John,

BorisG

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2007, 08:12:46 AM »
Slatikin's RCA recording of Mazzetti's first version of a complete M10th is also excellent. Unfortunately, Mazzetti's later edition has been heavily favored by critics over the first one (so is Lopez-Cobos's Telarc recording over this one). It is currently OOP but well worth hunting for.

John,

I'll stop with Cooke II, or is it III?

Wunderhorn

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2007, 09:51:39 PM »
I got the Slatkin, but was disappointed to find it not an SACD, though I don't want to deal with the hassle of a return so I opened it. I also got Chicago Abbado M7 and I was surprised how much it differed from the Barenboim's calculated and stricter version. Abbado is more thick and dragged. I don't really care for the Abbado, it seems careless and essential moments are muddled. The Slatkin is right up their with the Klemperer I own as one of the best. I've noticed similarities in the 2nd with Rott's symphony, but only small things made larger by Mahler.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2007, 02:10:55 AM by Wunderhorn »

Offline waderice

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2010, 09:39:20 PM »
Due to SACD higher cost, I've heard only three M2's on SACD: This one, Kaplan's and Tilson-Thomas (on loan).  Of course, I've heard (and have) many other M2's on LP, reel tape, cassette, and regular CD, over a span of about 40 years.

Due to the disappointment I felt after having just heard the Tilson-Thomas SFSO SACD, I decided to find a thread here about the Slatkin, and happily found one.  Of the three M2's I've heard on SACD, this one is the best.  Slatkin infuses a sense of urgency in his performance that makes it difficult to dismiss, despite the man's lackluster track record to please in live performances, particularly when he was here as music director of the Washington National Symphony.  I did hear him do M2 live while he was here in Washington, and it was a decent performance, probably not as good as his SLSO recording, as I recall.  The chorus is fine, as well as having the legendary Maureen Forrester as mezzo soloist and soprano Kathleen Battle approaching such a status.  Balance between organ, orchestra, and chorus is fine, even if the organ is a slight bit on the quiet side.  I believe the organ sounds electronic to my ears, as I believe Powell Symphony Hall in St. Louis doesn't have a pipe organ, for I've never been there.  Even if the sound is early digital and is only two-channel, this transfer of one of Telarc's most legendary recordings to the SACD medium is most successful, and very dynamic.  Years ago, I had the LP version of this and have since sold it; as I recall, the LP was quite dynamic, and in comparison to the LP as I recall, quite possibly surpasses it.  I would think that the regular CD version is the inferior-sounding of the three.

As to Tilson-Thomas, I had high hopes, but ended up on the disappointed side.  I've felt for a long while that slow tempi are justified, as long as the conductor has things in overall control with his players and the work being played convinces listeners.  That does not happen in Tilson-Thomas' performance.  There are good things and there are bad things in this performance, and since it is a patchwork of three or four performances when the work was recorded live, I think this is where such an effort disappoints rather than pleases.  The least-successful movement to my ears was the scherzo, with a couple of really odd extreme slow-downs in tempo toward the end.  Probably the most successful movement was the Finale, with the huge drum roll one of the more-successfully recorded ones I've heard.  Since I am a chorister in my music performing experience, I greatly enjoyed the chorus' contribution; they sang the choral ending "dead straight" (the term the director of the chorus I currently belong to uses to describe a lack of vibrato in singing).  Sound-wise, this performance sounded compressed compared to Slatkin.

To me, Kaplan's DG VPO M2 SACD is more of a reference since it represents the only current recording I know of using the final critical edition of M2.  Otherwise, it doesn't do a lot for me as a performance.  Sound is fine.  I prefer his earlier LSO performance.

Wade
« Last Edit: June 10, 2010, 08:54:44 PM by waderice »

Offline singingfriar

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2010, 11:34:23 PM »
Dear Wade,
If you get a chance to hear Fischer's SACD Mahler 2, I don't think you'd be disappointed.

Offline waderice

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2010, 12:40:07 AM »
Dear Wade,
If you get a chance to hear Fischer's SACD Mahler 2, I don't think you'd be disappointed.

I've read good things about it (especially from Barry), and in fact, I gave thought a while back to buying it, but didn't follow through.  Maybe one of these days.

Wade

Offline John Kim

« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2010, 03:57:52 AM »
I didn't care much for Slatkin's M2nd on the original 2CD set.

But the reissue on SACD is in a different world.

A very well played, thought-out recording with terrific bass and percussion in great sound that boasts PLENTY of ambiance, cushion and super realistic sound stage.

John,

Offline Russell

« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2010, 06:41:30 PM »
I didn't care much for Slatkin's M2nd on the original 2CD set.

But the reissue on SACD is in a different world.

A very well played, thought-out recording with terrific bass and percussion in great sound that boasts PLENTY of ambiance, cushion and super realistic sound stage.

John,

Agreed on the Slatkin M2 on SACD, John--the remastering has done wonders.  There's also a new M2 with Nott on Tudor that I've seen on my local CD store's shelf for a couple of weeks now.  I've been reluctant to get it because of the high-ish price ($28) but am still curious, of course.  Anyone here heard it?

Russell

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk