Author Topic: M9 Piano Transcription  (Read 7461 times)

Offline Hank

M9 Piano Transcription
« on: August 27, 2009, 05:28:04 AM »
I'm new to the board, and I was wondering if any of you have ever come across a piano transcription of the Mahler 9th (the whole symphony).

Piano 8 hands, 4 hands, two pianos, or piano solo; I don't really care; I'd love any version that exists or is available.

I'm mostly interested in the first and third movements, and I've begun the transcription process manually from the full score that I bought, but I just don't have the time to do the whole symphony.

I was able to find the fourth movement for piano solo, but I've looked for the other movements everywhere to no avail; there seems to exist no Public Domain version (nothing on IMSLP) nor a version for sale anywhere of the whole symphony.

Any suggestions of where to look would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Hank

Offline DWheelerKY

Re: M9 Piano Transcription
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2009, 07:19:29 AM »
I'm not sure about availability of actual scores, but there is a recorded version of the first movement for piano solo that I came across a few years ago. It's on a small German label called Edition Laura. The Mahler is coupled with a Morton Feldman piece called simply "Piano". The transcription and performance are by Albert Breier.

The website is http://www.edition-laura.de/

They don't have any way to order directly online. But if you email them, they will arrange shipping, payment, etc., with you. Maybe they can give you info about availability of the actual score also. 

Offline Zoltan

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2009, 08:25:27 PM »
Serge Ollive made a piano solo arrangement of the Adagio (as well as some other movements of Mahler's symphonies).

Offline DWheelerKY

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2009, 04:52:24 AM »
Serge Ollive made a piano solo arrangement of the Adagio (as well as some other movements of Mahler's symphonies).

Is there a recording available anywhere of his arrangment of the 9th's finale?

Offline Zoltan

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2009, 07:12:00 AM »
Is there a recording available anywhere of his arrangment of the 9th's finale?

Not that I know of. In my opinion, such arrangement would be more for personal enjoyment rather than played in a concert. One of my goals is to get to learn to play the piano and then such easy to play arrangements would be withing my grasp and I could see and hear, play and analyze the harmonies and melodies of orchestral works more easily then by looking at the score while listening to a recording (it's not that easy sometimes to hear certain harmonies, which is one of the reasons we all tend to listen with heightened interest to new recordings that would reveal new things from a well-known work).

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk