Author Topic: MusicWeb reviews Zinman M7  (Read 8081 times)

Offline Russ Smiley

MusicWeb reviews Zinman M7
« on: September 01, 2009, 01:44:33 AM »
Russ Smiley

Offline John Kim

Re: MusicWeb reviews Zinman M7
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2009, 05:00:32 AM »
Looks pretty good.

When is the US release date?

John,

Offline chalkpie

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2009, 12:29:26 PM »
Good review, but why does he choose 2 other (seemingly random) discs to compare? It's like taking a banana and deciding to compare it with grapes and a chipolte chile. Why not discuss the merits of the recording on its own terms?

BTW, he seems to have creamed all over Zinman's M2.........is it REALLY that good? He has piqued my interest for sure.

Offline mahlerei

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2009, 01:36:05 PM »
BTW, he seems to have creamed all over Zinman's M2.........is it REALLY that good? He has piqued my interest for sure.

Yes, it is that good. The Abbado and Gielen versions were chosen as points of reference. Anyone interested in a more detailed analysis of available M7s is directed to Tony Duggan's survey (also on MusicWeb).

Dan
« Last Edit: September 01, 2009, 01:49:41 PM by mahlerei »

Offline Damfino

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2009, 02:30:25 PM »
Well, whether the recording is good or not I cannot say, but I am a little dismayed when a review starts out with "The Seventh is perhaps Mahler’s most flawed symphony."

I guess that means that many of them are "flawed", and the seventh more so? What's "flawed" about it?

Offline chalkpie

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2009, 02:35:59 PM »
Well, whether the recording is good or not I cannot say, but I am a little dismayed when a review starts out with "The Seventh is perhaps Mahler’s most flawed symphony."

I guess that means that many of them are "flawed", and the seventh more so? What's "flawed" about it?

Exactly. I guess flawed to him means "diverse" and "sprawling" to us. I've never understood how M7 gives people trouble....

Offline John Kim

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2009, 06:12:17 PM »
Generally favorable review here:
http://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/2009/Sept09/ZinmanMahler7_88697506502.htm
The reviewer thinks Zniman's best Mahler outings so far are M2 and M5. But IMO M3rd and M6th are the best in the cycle... ???

John,

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2009, 12:14:26 AM »
Agreed. I'll go with Zinman's M3 and M6 as being among the very best. I like his M1 very much too, which comes with a very flowing performance of "Blumine" as an addendum. I VERY much the Zinman cycle, so far. It's a case of sheer musicality winning out over excess bombast and excess rhetoric.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2009, 12:34:25 AM by barry guerrero »

Offline alpsman

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2009, 05:43:11 PM »
Just listened very carefully the new Zinman M7. This is a very very good release in Mahler discography.
A few thoughts:

It is a very warm, musical and without hysteria performance. One of the main characteristics are a straight phrasing ie. without the so called micro-management of Abbado. I prefer the way Abbado does. Along with Bernstein, Tilson Thomas/LSO, Chailly and Rattle( I wish for a re-recording with BPO), Abbado is a master in this symphony.
Zinman plays his phrases straight on the down beat, without the ethereal in the air phrasing of Abbado.

The first Nachtmusik is absolutelly great. Very fine atmosphere, nice playing.

The Scherzo...same comments as above for the mov.I. Straight phrasing, no accents of Abbado's and Bernstein's style.

Second Nachtmusik also splendid, and a really jovial Finale without histrionics.

The recording is excellent(in sacd mode), warm, without spotlight, the playing of the Tonhalle sensitive and secure, althought without much weight. I only wish for better definition of timpanies in the beginning of the final movement. They sound muddy, in some distance and so underpowered.

On the whole a great disc and much better,in my opinion, to Gergiev's/Lso.

Offline John Kim

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2009, 06:00:47 PM »
I am not surprised by your report :D.

The question is, when is it going to be available in USA?? ???

As for Zinman's M6th I was lucky to pick up a copy while I was visiting Korea. And I paid less than $13.00! :o

Regards,

John,

Offline alpsman

« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2009, 06:14:14 PM »
But i find the sixth in USA for 11.7$ plus p&s from cd universe, that is about 15$

Offline alpsman

« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2009, 06:16:10 PM »
15$ for me, in Old world, for you there in states it will be less.

Offline John Kim

« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2009, 06:27:24 PM »
if I convert the Korean currency to the US dollar, I figure....I paid $11.20. No S&H fee, No tax.

So, I beat you! ;D

John,

Offline John Kim

« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2009, 06:29:57 PM »
The greatest deal I ever got so far is the Abbado/BPO/DG Brahms set. Like I said, I ended up paying only $28.99+2.89$ (S&H)=$31.88.

Better still, this is a great Brahms Symphonies cycle.

John,

Offline DWheelerKY

« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2009, 06:27:42 AM »
Interersting that the MusicWeb reviewer raved about Zinman's M2, M4 and M5, while ClassicsToday gave these three the lowest ratings of Zinman's cycle so far!

ClassicsToday's Ratings of the Zinman cycle so far: 1st=9/10,  2nd=7/8,  3rd=9/9,  4th=8/9,  5th=5/8,  6th=9/9. They haven't yet reviewed the 7th.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk