Author Topic: Abbado/BPO/DG Brahms cycle - AWESOME!! (OOT)  (Read 5774 times)

Offline John Kim

Abbado/BPO/DG Brahms cycle - AWESOME!! (OOT)
« on: September 04, 2009, 03:59:50 PM »
For the past three days I have been listening to nothing but the whole Abbado Brahms set that's spread over 4 discs. I got it from ebay at just $28.99 + S&H.

My friend tells me it's normally priced close to $100.00 so I consider myself extremely lucky this time ;D :D.

I think all four symphonies under Abbado are truly magnificent. And DG's sound is one of their best efforts; perfectly balanced, warm, vibrant, detailed, with plenty of cushion, it sounds very different than what was given to Karajan's digital era. It has quickly become my number one addition(?) item and I can't simply stop listening to the CDs. Abbado's interpretation is a bit mellow and low-keyed but it has careful dynamics & balance going for it, as well as a wonderful sense of flow and spontaneity. It is never boring either. If only his Mahler recordings on the same label, especially the M7 and M9, had sonics this good.

I also own Maazel/CVLO cycle that was originally recorded by Decca but later reissued by a not-so-well-known company (forgot the name) on three discs. That one boasts great playing by Cleveland Orch. and Maazel's very sympathetic reading all captured in the glorious Decca analogue sound. But I must say Abbado's is in his own class and on a par with the Maazel set. These are my top favorite Brahms symphonies cycles now.

John,

Two thumbs up, way up.

John,

Offline alpsman

Re: Abbado/BPO/DG Brahms cycle - AWESOME!! (OOT)
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2009, 07:27:43 PM »
I'm in total agreement with you, John, for Abbado and Maazel.  Two weeks ago I listened the Ansermet cycle, in Japanese pressings-very nice sound. Althought i'm not a fun of Ansermet-and for this reason I have not high expectations for his German repertoire-I liked a lot his Brahms, especialy no.3. He is not powerful or dramatic in 1,2 and 4 but has a mellow mid-european sound in the lyrical episodes.

And today I received the new Rattle. Mind everyone that the Japs released this cycle in HQ cds AND 2 dvds, in very affordable price.
My opinion on Rattle's Brahms later. ;)

Offline sperlsco

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2009, 03:08:26 AM »
Mind everyone that the Japs released this cycle in HQ cds AND 2 dvds, in very affordable price.

The DVD's are of Rattle and the BPO doing all four of the symphonies?

BTW, John, I agree on the Abbado set.  It is one of my favorite Brahms cycles, although it is among many favorites (Levine, Levine, Wand, Dohnanyi). 
Scott

Offline alpsman

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2009, 09:41:52 AM »
The DVD's are of Rattle and the BPO doing all four of the symphonies?

Yes the DVD's are with Rattle and BPO playing the 4 symphonies by Brahms. The quality is excellent in both audio and video.

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2009, 11:05:13 AM »
I'm in total agreement with you, John, for Abbado and Maazel.  Two weeks ago I listened the Ansermet cycle, in Japanese pressings-very nice sound. Althought i'm not a fun of Ansermet-and for this reason I have not high expectations for his German repertoire-I liked a lot his Brahms, especialy no.3. He is not powerful or dramatic in 1,2 and 4 but has a mellow mid-european sound in the lyrical episodes.

And today I received the new Rattle. Mind everyone that the Japs released this cycle in HQ cds AND 2 dvds, in very affordable price.
My opinion on Rattle's Brahms later. ;)

Alpsman,

I searched HMV Japan but couldn't find the Rattle HQ/CD & DVD set...could you link me to a page?

Thanks!

Todd

Offline alpsman

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2009, 11:53:50 AM »
Here is the link for Rattle/Brahms in HMV Japan (3 HQ cds+2dvd)
http://www.hmv.co.jp/en/product/detail/3622155

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2009, 01:49:03 PM »
Here is the link for Rattle/Brahms in HMV Japan (3 HQ cds+2dvd)
http://www.hmv.co.jp/en/product/detail/3622155

Thanks man...I didn't realize that was the set! 

This may be my next purchase from Japan.

--Todd

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk