Author Topic: Sony Bernstein box: MusicWeb review  (Read 6051 times)

Offline mahlerei

Sony Bernstein box: MusicWeb review
« on: September 07, 2009, 11:07:36 AM »
Posters may be interested to know that MusicWeb's Tony Duggan has prepared a detailed review of Bernstein's Mahler box from Sony (second remastering). The article, due to appear on Wednesday 9 September, will include sound samples.

Here's a sneak peek:

http://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/2009/Sept09/Mahler_Bernstein_88697453692.htm
« Last Edit: September 07, 2009, 01:16:39 PM by mahlerei »

Offline John Kim

Re: Sony Bernstein box: MusicWeb review
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2009, 04:01:18 PM »
I believe Tony is correct for the most part but I still prefer the Japanese SACD version that arguably originates from the same remastered source as this set.

John,

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2009, 06:17:28 AM »
So in other words, Tony is saying absolutely nothing new, months and months after all of us have fully discussed it in detail. Way to go Tony! Look, if you're a fan of Bernstein's LSO Mahler 8 (I am!), get this box or the Japanese sacd version.

Offline mahlerei

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2009, 02:14:38 PM »
So in other words, Tony is saying absolutely nothing new, months and months after all of us have fully discussed it in detail. Way to go Tony! Look, if you're a fan of Bernstein's LSO Mahler 8 (I am!), get this box or the Japanese sacd version.

To be fair to Tony this is not an 'on the fly' review but a carefully considered overview that has taken some time adn effort to prepare (including sound samples). His main Mahler survey for MusicWeb is also a very useful resource.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2009, 07:56:36 PM by mahlerei »

Offline John Kim

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2009, 05:10:20 PM »
Last night I listened to the M9th included in the remastered set.

I must say that I am very much impressed with the remastering job done at Sony.

Previously, I expressed my preference for the Japanese SACD version (which apparently originates from the same remastered material), but now I am not so sure ???. The remastered sound is so much better than any of the previous releases and very much close to the sound offered on the SACD. So, considering the incredibly low price, I might just settle for the domestic box set and forget about the pricey SACDs :-[ :D.

John,

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2009, 05:24:14 PM »
"His main Malelr survey for MusicWeb is also a very useful resource"

particularly if you're a huge Barbirolli and/or Horenstein fan.

Offline mahlerei

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2009, 07:59:11 PM »
"His main Mahler survey for MusicWeb is also a very useful resource"

particularly if you're a huge Barbirolli and/or Horenstein fan.

I notice you have your favourites as well. We all do. Since when was that a hanging offence?

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2009, 09:46:36 PM »
I didn't say that it was. I will cop to the fact that I don't care for Tony Duggan's work, and I have many reasons as to why that is. Those reasons are somewhat different than Dave Hurwitz's reasons, although some of them are probably the same. If you're interested in following up on this topic - something that I'm not really looking forward to, truthfully - I would want to take it off of the forum and discuss it privately. I reserve the right to not like his work. Maybe he doesn't like mine, I don't know.

Offline mahlerei

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2009, 11:54:35 PM »
I didn't say that it was. I will cop to the fact that I don't care for Tony Duggan's work, and I have many reasons as to why that is. Those reasons are somewhat different than Dave Hurwitz's reasons, although some of them are probably the same. If you're interested in following up on this topic - something that I'm not really looking forward to, truthfully - I would want to take it off of the forum and discuss it privately. I reserve the right to not like his work. Maybe he doesn't like mine, I don't know.

I wasn't being adversarial, merely curious. You have every right not to like Tony's work, so no further explanations required :)
« Last Edit: September 10, 2009, 11:58:31 PM by mahlerei »

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2009, 11:57:28 PM »
And I'll fully cop to being slightly provocative. My bad.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk