Author Topic: M5, Stenz, Gurzenich Cologne  (Read 7004 times)

Offline brunumb

M5, Stenz, Gurzenich Cologne
« on: September 30, 2009, 10:26:49 AM »
Barry, could you please tell us how the Oehms recording of M5 from Stenz compares with his previous one on ABC Classics.  Thanks.

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2009, 08:12:23 AM »
I won't have a chance to do an A/B comparison for logistical reasons: I have the Oehms recording in San Jose, while the ABC Classics one is in S.F. Furthermore, I'm just not going to have the free time for a while here. So, I'll try to give you some breakdown based purely upon my memory.

Oehms makes fairly dark sounding recordings. And while the Stenz/Gurzenich M5 strikes me as being a tad smaller in scale, it's also slightly darker in timbre. Think of the sound of the Cologne Radio S.O. playing in Koln's Philharmonie, and you'll have the right tonal idea in your mind. The Gurzenich Orch. sounds very much like the radio orchestra. Since the Gurzenich one is still fresh in my mind, I can tell you that the first, third, and fifth (final) movements are outstanding on the new one. I remember liking the second movement just a tad more on the earlier one - especially the part where the low brass are wallowing around in the depths, accompanied by a series of four tam-tam strokes (just before the first sounding of the big chorale tune). For my taste, the horn solos in the third movement could be a tad bigger sounding (sounds like he or she is using an Alex.). I remember the horn solos sounding a bit bigger on the ABC one. However, the pacing of the scherzo is excellent on the Oehms one. On the new one, the Adagietto is cut down to bit less than 9 minutes. It still has plenty of rubato though. The way Stenz handles the approach to the return of the big chorale tune in the finale is just outstanding. There's no slowing down before the point where Mahler allows you to slow down. In addition to all this, Stenz has probably made me like the first movement more than anybody has. I've never been a big fan of M5/I.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2009, 06:30:57 AM by barry guerrero »

Offline brunumb

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2009, 12:21:21 PM »
Thanks Barry.  I take it then that overall the Oehms version wins by a short half head  :D

Offline sperlsco

• Global Moderator
Re: M5, Stenz, Gurzenich Cologne
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2009, 03:43:26 PM »
NOTE:

I decided to split this into its own topic since we will hopefully have some separate reviews of the Stenz M5, including mine. 

Scott
Scott

Offline brunumb

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2009, 08:09:19 AM »
Anyone else able to give a review of this yet ?

Offline sperlsco

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2009, 10:03:09 PM »
Anyone else able to give a review of this yet ?

I’ve listened to this recording several times in my car, but was hoping to get in an uninterrupted home session before writing a review.  But since you asked…

This is certainly one of the best M5 recordings in my collection.  It has no real weaknesses, although there are a couple of little things that annoy me.  Stenz’ conception is my ideal in terms of tempi and dynamics.  He plays the first two movements rather aggressively; the scherzo is taken mid-tempo (i.e. not too fast); the adagio is a swift and beautiful 8 ½ minutes; the finale is swift and exciting (and the ending is simply thrilling).  None of my other favorites do such a good job with tempi in all 5 movements.  Most of them push the Adagietto to 11+ minutes (Tennstedt/Live, Levine, Karajan, Lennie/VPO, and Eschenbach for example) – much too long in my book.  Chailly is better at just more than 10’, but his second movement is not nearly as intense.  Solti/Analog has much of the intensity throughout, but lacks a feel for the music at certain points.  The orchestral playing throughout is sharp and strong.  The lower brass section is exceptional, as is the bass drum and cymbals.  The timpani comes across as rather subdued at several instances and has problems making itself heard in some of the louder sections (but at other sections it is excellent).  I have a similar complaint about the lead trumpet, particularly a missing soaring line in the second movement (IIRC it is at about 8:45). 

All in all, though, I can see myself pulling this out first when I’m in the mood for an M5.  Some of my other favorites may be better in one aspect or another, but this one is consistently strong from start-to-finish.  The sound is exceptional.  This is really the first M5 on SACD with which I am satisfied. 
Scott

Offline brunumb

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2009, 12:26:14 PM »
Thank you Scott.
As a Melburnian, I already have the MSO/Stenz recording.
Now I have to decide whether to add the new one or not.  Actually it's probably more like when rather than whether.
Can't help myself  ::)
A few more positive impressions would help ease the guilt of yet another unnecessary expenditure though  ;D

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2009, 05:28:36 PM »
The earlier Melbourne one is just fine, so don't feel that you have to buy this one as well. Stenz is going to do an entire cycle with the Gurzenich Orch., so you'll have plenty of opportunity to hear them together in the future. I'd love to hear him do an M3 with Gurzenich, for example.

Barry

Offline GL

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2010, 10:01:33 AM »
http://www.classicstoday.com/review.asp?ReviewNum=12907

While I prefer slightly the Adagietto as it is played with the Gurzenich Orchestra, for what concerns the other movements (especially the second), Melbourne remains a first and (in my view) top choice.

Luca

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk