Author Topic: Dave Hurwitz likes the Bychkov M1 - who knew!  (Read 4101 times)

Offline erikwilson7

Re: Dave Hurwitz likes the Bychkov M1 - who knew!
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2023, 02:54:08 PM »
The horns also do a raucous trill near the end of the first movement — one of Mahler’s funniest moments I think — and it’s very restrained under Bychkov as already pointed out by Chris. To be fair, in the score it’s only the fourth horn part, and the rest are doing something else. But I love hearing it the way we do on Honeck, Levi, and Fischer.

It’s not that the horns are weak either, I mean listen to the very end. They’re blasting away. It was a musical decision by Bychkov.

Offline barryguerrero

« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2023, 09:10:49 PM »
That's similar to the two horn trill's in R. Strauss' "Alpine Symphony". It's in one of the 'mountain peaks' episodes, I think. For me, they're almost always too weak. I think it's a situation where only a few of the dozen or more horns are actually playing them.

Offline erikwilson7

« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2023, 04:20:05 PM »
I discovered something very strange on this recording just now. At timestamp 13:15 in the finale, you can faintly hear the blipping of cellular interference in the right channel.

It reminds me of the sound of the pager going off at the start of the MTT / SFSO M5.

Offline Volund

« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2023, 10:19:13 AM »
Erik Wilson writes:

"The horns also do a raucous trill near the end of the first movement — one of Mahler’s funniest moments I think — and it’s very restrained under Bychkov as already pointed out by Chris. To be fair, in the score it’s only the fourth horn part, and the rest are doing something else. But I love hearing it the way we do on Honeck, Levi, and Fischer."

Which Fischer?  Ivan, Adam, or Thierry?

Offline erikwilson7

« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2023, 12:20:13 PM »
Ivan Fischer, if my memory serves. Sorry for not clarifying. It’s pretty crazy that within a span of 10 years we had three recordings of the First by someone named Fischer.

Offline Volund

« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2023, 01:06:24 PM »
Erik, thanks for the clarification.  I,too, love the sound of that trilling horn, and M1 performances that minimise it are always a bit of a disappointment to me.  I guess I need to seek out the Fischer/Budapest recording.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk