Author Topic: Listen to the Mäkelä / RCO Mahler 3 broadcast here  (Read 2131 times)

Offline barryguerrero

Re: Listen to the Mäkelä / RCO Mahler 3 broadcast here
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2023, 05:30:43 AM »
Soooo, I went ahead and did the math. Here are somewhat rough timings: 34:10; 9:40; 16:55; 9:15; 4:03 and 22:25. If you think I'm off-base on any of those, please chime in. Is it just me, or does this look very similar to the timings on the M. Jansons/RCOA M3?   .    .   .   Negatives: the strings don't sound as good to me as they used to be. I know that living in Amsterdam is difficult - it's a very expensive place. The percussion seemed quite muted, but I think that was a biproduct of the recording's compression. Positives: While I couldn't hear much percussion throughout the 'southern storm' fantasy passage, the offstage snare drum solo sounded EXACTLY as I would have that solo played (and have played it offstage, myself). The mezzo soprano was terrific! I also think the strange ascending glissandos in the English Horn and oboe were about as good as I've ever heard them done. The last two movements were good, but also seemed a bit 'paint by the numbers' to me. Keep in mind that I didn't hear the whole thing. I was jumping around in an effort to come up with these timings. I can't say that I'm thrilled with the sound quality on this stream. I'm sure something more 'official' will sound better.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2023, 05:33:12 AM by barryguerrero »

Offline erikwilson7

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2023, 06:54:08 AM »
Thanks for figuring out those timings. Those are the proportions I typically prefer for the Third.

We definitely shouldn’t judge sound quality yet, since it’s just a broadcast, and even intonation issues will be tweaked in a final product.

But yes, the conducting and the sound of the performers is what I’m really getting out of this too.

In strange way, this does indeed sound quite a bit like the Jansons one, but I find this one to have some more nuance. It’s more interesting to me.

I think Mäkelä has done the Sixth and First with the RCO so far as well. Maybe the Fifth too? I saw him do it in Chicago just this year, so maybe. And has he done the Second? It really sounds like the RCO Live label is preparing a cycle out of their new conductor. I genuinely think a goal of the RCO is to record a Mahler cycle with each of their chief conductors, or as much as they can.

Offline lschmitz

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2023, 06:41:26 PM »
I was at this concert. The audio quality in the recording is far from optimal, but broadly reflects what I heard in the concert hall. That is to say: great brass and woodwinds, so-so strings (although the celli and basses were great!), and muted percussion. It was interesting to see what effect Mäkelä had on the orchestra; their response to his gestures was immediate and it was quite thrilling to see. If nothing else, he gives them the encouragement to play, and is not afraid of 'letting things rip'.

In terms of an interpretation or overall conception, I'm not sure there was too much going on. While Mäkelä didn't stand in the way of the orchestra to put its talent on display, he also didn't exactly 'dust off' the score in the way that e.g., Chailly did.

Regarding this being put out as an RCO live recording: Mäkelä is under contract with Decca, so it will be interesting to see how they will handle his recordings in Amsterdam. Does anyone know whether his Paris/Oslo recordings are 'live' recordings? It seems not likely at all that anyone would bankroll a studio recording these days.

Offline barryguerrero

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2023, 09:04:42 PM »
That last sentence is soooo true. Even the major labels are looking for 'underwriters' to their projects. David Hurwitz likes to say that DG has become a 'boutique' label. I guess I know what he means by that.

Offline James Meckley

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2023, 12:35:55 PM »
In the for-what-it's-worth department, critic Clare Varney pointed out during the course of her very positive review that: a number of key players were absent, and twelve young musicians from the Academy of the Concertgebouw joined the orchestra for the first time.
"We cannot see how any of his music can long survive him."
Henry Krehbiel, New York Tribune obituary of Gustav Mahler

Offline barryguerrero

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2023, 07:04:30 PM »
Fair enough. I have no complaints about the brass playing. I just wish the woodwinds and percussion had a bit more presence in this broadcast stream thingee. That's what the Concertgebouw usually excels best at. It's pretty darn good - I have no room to gripe. I'm just not sure it's an improvement over previous chapters in this ongoing M3 in Amsterdam saga. I admit to being partial to the D. Gatti one. I thought the Scherzo came off best. Janis Joplin - whatever her name is - was also quite good.

Offline erikwilson7

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2023, 07:12:45 PM »
Janis Joplin - whatever her name is - was also quite good.

Yes, and Stevie Nicks was great in the M2  ;)

Offline barryguerrero

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2023, 08:26:03 AM »
I would definitely let go of money to hear that. It's like the vocals on those Kondrashin Moscow-based Mahler recordings being sung in Russian. The novelty is just too good to pass up.

Offline lschmitz

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2023, 02:03:26 PM »
FYI, the broadcast can be played back with only the Mahler, here (in slightly improved audio quality) https://www.nporadio4.nl/concerten/cc9f433e-cb8b-4b48-9c06-f71a9db10d69/concertgebouworkest-speelt-mahlers-symfonie-nr-3

Offline erikwilson7

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2023, 02:24:53 PM »
It does sound better; the percussion is less recessed. Thanks!
« Last Edit: September 21, 2023, 02:42:36 PM by erikwilson7 »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk