Recent Posts

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10
That's exactly what I was thinking.
Gustav Mahler and Related Discussions / Re: Vanska/MO/BIS M3rd SACD is pricey!
« Last post by John Kim on April 29, 2024, 04:29:36 PM »
I bet BIS wants us to buy a box set of the whole cycle (when it becomes available later) instead of this release.

John
Gustav Mahler and Related Discussions / Vanska/MO/BIS M3rd SACD is pricey!
« Last post by John Kim on April 29, 2024, 04:25:51 PM »
This is really bad. They are asking for a price of two discs whereas most releases nowadays that comprise of two CDs are sold for the price of one.

Who'd pay $41 for the set?

John
Interesting timings!

Let's also remember that BIS sometimes puts 30 seconds of additional silence at the end of their final tracks, so the finale might be somewhere closer to 23:47, for what it's worth.
The Minnesota brass really roared and rumbled, above all in the opening 'Pan Awakes, Summer Marches In.'

The woodwinds were excellent too and very prominent throughout.

John
Graet news!

I heard an archive of one of the live performances and it was pretty specitacular, a really superlative Mahler Third^

John
Weird cover and strange, expansive timings. I think the cover is saying 'kaleidoscopic' or 'psychedelic'. I - 36:07 (Maazel-ville); II - 9:41; III - 19:07 (more Maazel-ville); IV - 10:26; V - 4:24 (Horenstein-ville); VI - 24:07.  The sound quality on the samples is really, really good. I'm just hoping the offstage posthorn solos aren't stretched out too long in the Scherzo movement.

https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/9622893--mahler-symphony-no-3-in-d-minor?country=CA&currency=CAD
Send me a PM with your mailing address, and I'll try to get it sent out this week. Nobody else has asked for it. I've never seen a Brahms no. 1 Concerto with Gould/Bernstein, other than the live one you mentioned. If you'd prefer to just use e-mail, mine is barrygrrr@yahoo.com   .    .    .  I'm happy the book will be getting a good home.

Barry
If I haven't missed the book, I'd like to take you up on your offer. I've read it from the library, but would love one to own. Unless someone else would like to jump ahead of me in line, so to speak.

One thing I actually wrote to Tim Page about is Ozawa claims that Bernstein and Gould recorded the Brahms First Piano Concerto shortly after the concert with Bernstein's pre-performance disclaimer...but it was never released. In this age where so much seems to get released posthumously; I found that a stunner...especially given that the live performance DID get released. Page set the record straight and said Ozawa probably misremembered and that everything that was available has been released. Still...and intriguing possibility, since the live concert isn't in the greatest sound.
Have you heard all of the recordings before (on Spotify / YouTube, etc.)? If you know what to expect, I say pull the trigger. I wouldn't want you to be disappointed if you haven't heard all of them yet though.

It's a consistent set. It has very few quirks / oddities, and no real duds in my opinion. You've heard the M5, so you know about Jansons slowing the tempi near the very end. Other than that, it's really straightforward and the BRSO sounds wonderful as expected. To me, Jansons is somewhat comparable to Abbado; a very safe, neutral conductor who produces good results from his orchestra. He 'gets out of the way' of the orchestra and lets them do their thing (except for the end of M5).

I personally haven't gotten it solely because I haven't found a reason to yet. Maybe someday I'll pick it up.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10
SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk