Recent Posts

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10
Erik

As far as I know, all of Bychkov/CPO Mahler releases so far are based on live recordings.

John

Actually, you're probably correct and I'm mistaken. I went back and watched Pentatone's promotional YouTube videos for these recordings and it shows segments of them playing in front of an audience spliced with shots of Bychkov studying the score during the engineering process. I got the ideas mixed up.
Correction. I was told it was not with CPO.

John
Erik

As far as I know, all of Bychkov/CPO Mahler releases so far are based on live recordings.

John
Perhaps, but did Pentatone say this would be a studio cycle?

Exciting news nonetheless.
Gustav Mahler and Related Discussions / Bychkov/CPO Mahler 8th concert last night
« Last post by John Kim on April 12, 2024, 04:46:24 PM »
There was a report on the concert and it got a rave review. Let's hope Pentatone recorded the live performance for a future release.

John
I'm glad to hear that Makela's Shostakovich 10 was really good. I have no desire for this guy to be a turkey and fail. The 10th is not that easy of a symphony to pull off. In my opinion, it doesn't play itself. Some good news is still good news.
"Jansons/Pittsburgh really shines here"   .   .    .  Indeed!!!
I'm not a big fan of the trumpet solo in III on this recording. It's almost legato. The score doesn't include articulation markings, but it seems out of character to me.

That aside, overall this is a really good recording. I will grouse that the tamtam seems a bit shallow at the big climax. Jansons/Pittsburgh really shines here.
The Mäkelä Shostakovich 10 was superb last night, nIcely paced, intense without being overwrought, with first-class execution by the orchestra all around, and stellar work by the percussion. I'd consider myself lucky to hear another live performance of it as good. I'm not quite as familiar with the Cello Concerto #1 that preceded it, but that was just as fine. (Soloist was Sol Gabetta, who hails from Argentina.)

In the late-'90s remodel, an unsightly acoustic reflector was added above the stage. (Musicians call it The Spaceship.) It's a double-edged sword: it brought clearer sound to the farther reaches of the hall, but it flattens dynamic contrast and can make the woodwinds sound shrill. Before that, sound was really murky in the Upper Balcony where I usually sit. Although it's more tolerable now, once the music gets to forte or louder, the string tone disappears. Before The Spaceship landed, I would sit in the Gallery, the top balcony, but now the sound is way too harsh up there. Tinkering with this hall is merely rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic, or if you prefer a different metaphor, you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.

Several years ago, I paid beaucoup bucks to hear Thielemann and Staatskapelle Dresden. I was on the main floor in an area with standing waves and the sound was just a mess.

Barry, I agree that the Solti M7 is his best CSO Mahler recording up until the wheels come off the bus in the finale. It's the only CD in the series that I've kept. While he can whip up a big noise, I don't think he had much feel for Mahler's counterpoint, which is really the heart of the music.
Barry,

Thanks for the posting.

Indeed, why would they not resume the Bychkov Mahler cycle until 2025 because they already have archives of M6, M7, even M3 in their cans?? It simply doesn't make sense.

John
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10
SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk