Author Topic: Ozawa's SKO Mahler 2nd & 9th to be reissued on SACD  (Read 13342 times)

Offline John Kim

Ozawa's SKO Mahler 2nd & 9th to be reissued on SACD
« on: July 29, 2010, 09:38:09 PM »
http://www.hmv.co.jp/en/product/detail/3857655

Yes, bring it on!! ;D ;D

Since I don't have SACD versions of the recordings I might get them, hehe.

John

Offline John Kim

Re: Ozawa's SKO Mahler 2nd & 9th to be reissued on SACD
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2010, 09:47:34 PM »
I think the SACD edition of this M2nd was released previously. Does anyone have it? How does it sound?

I have Blu-spec ed. of the M9th and it sounds terrific, much better than the CD version.

John,

Offline sperlsco

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2010, 10:19:59 PM »
Yes, I have it.  It is a stereo-only SACD.  It is also not a hybrid (i.e. no CD layer).  I haven't listened to it in years, but I remember it sounding very good.   It is an excellent performance, except for Ozawa's sprint through the March of the Souls section.  

I really like the M9!  I'm not sure if I'd pay the premium to get it again on SACD though.  I haven't listened to the M9 in a few years either, but remember my only real disppointment being a lack of power from some of the brass.  I LOVE Ozawa's way with M9 though, including the commercial BSO one and the radio-rip of his final BSO concert.  I am considering the Japanese DVD or Blu-Ray release of that final BSO concert, but it is probably a little pricey for my blood.  I'm spending too much money on tennis these days to spend $70+ on a Blu-Ray disc.  
Scott

Offline John Kim

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2010, 10:42:59 PM »
Yes, I have it.  It is a stereo-only SACD.  It is also not a hybrid (i.e. no CD layer).  I haven't listened to it in years, but I remember it sounding very good.   It is an excellent performance, except for Ozawa's sprint through the March of the Souls section.  

I really like the M9!  I'm not sure if I'd pay the premium to get it again on SACD though.  I haven't listened to the M9 in a few years either, but remember my only real disppointment being a lack of power from some of the brass.  I LOVE Ozawa's way with M9 though, including the commercial BSO one and the radio-rip of his final BSO concert.  I am considering the Japanese DVD or Blu-Ray release of that final BSO concert, but it is probably a little pricey for my blood.  I'm spending too much money on tennis these days to spend $70+ on a Blu-Ray disc.  
But I find the low brass section, e.g., tuba, is mighty strong. Listen to the main climax in I. It will blow your socks off!

I like the timpani too, which I believe was played by the legendary BSO member. Everett Fucht??

John,

Offline John Kim

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2010, 10:43:49 PM »
BTW, these discs will be in the hybrid SACD format.

John,

Offline James Meckley

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2010, 10:51:20 PM »

I like the timpani too, which I believe was played by the legendary BSO member, Everett Fucht??

That would be Everett "Vic" Firth (b. 1930).

James
"We cannot see how any of his music can long survive him."
Henry Krehbiel, New York Tribune obituary of Gustav Mahler

Offline sperlsco

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2010, 05:30:46 PM »

But I find the low brass section, e.g., tuba, is mighty strong. Listen to the main climax in I. It will blow your socks off!

I like the timpani too, which I believe was played by the legendary BSO member. Everett Fucht??

John,

I am referring to the brass of the SKO performance.  
Scott

Offline John Kim

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2010, 06:05:24 PM »

John,

I am referring to the brass of the SKO performance.  
Yes, that's what I am referring to. SKO has a terrific tuba at that spot!

John,

Offline James Meckley

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2010, 07:46:22 AM »
Will someone who owns the Ozawa SKO M9 please advise as to the exact recording date? I have an "unofficial version" which lacks that information. Thanks.

James

Offline sperlsco

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2010, 05:39:33 PM »
Will someone who owns the Ozawa SKO M9 please advise as to the exact recording date? I have an "unofficial version" which lacks that information. Thanks.

James

M2 January 2-5, 2000
M9 January 2-4, 2001

Both at Tokyo Bunka Kaikan
Scott

Offline James Meckley

« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2010, 06:40:03 PM »
Thanks, Scott.

James

Offline John Kim

« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2010, 07:22:58 PM »

James

M2 January 2-5, 2000
M9 January 2-4, 2001

Both at Tokyo Bunka Kaikan
I and Barry were at one of their live concerts in SF a few days after the recording of this M9th. It was an excellent performance, well streamlined and beautiful shaping throughout that were not devoid of emotional and spiritual depth of the work. The strings were in particular outstanding sounding better than they did in the recording. One difference was that Ozawa didn't rush through the first climax in I. as much as he did in the recording.

John,

Offline Alexandros

« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2010, 09:27:58 AM »
http://www.hmv.co.jp/en/product/detail/3857655

Yes, bring it on!! ;D ;D

Since I don't have SACD versions of the recordings I might get them, hehe.

John

Just received this one (hybrid stereo SACD - 3 disc set) along with Klemperer's mighty M7.

Alex

Offline John Kim

« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2010, 05:43:09 PM »
Good for you!! ::)

I have Blue ray spec CD of the Ozawa/SKO M9th and it sound way better than the red ray CD.

I wonder how the SACD will compare to my disc.

BUT, unless I buy the new SACD version I wouldn't know, would I? :-[ :-[ :-X

John,

Offline Freddy van Maurik

« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2010, 05:41:11 PM »
Just received this one (hybrid stereo SACD - 3 disc set) along with Klemperer's mighty M7.

Alex

Alex,

Please let us know if the SACD-version is worthwile, i.e. if it beats the CD of the M2 and the Blu-Spec CD of the M9. I'm considering getting this, but I'm hesitating...
Thanks!

Freddy

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk