Author Topic: Gianandrea Noseda lands National Symphony (D.C.)  (Read 5067 times)

Offline barry guerrero

Gianandrea Noseda lands National Symphony (D.C.)
« on: January 05, 2016, 03:15:35 AM »
I think his recording of M10 in the Cooke III version is really good (Chandos). I also have a live M7 with the same people that came with an issue of BBC Magazine - also quite good. He's a very well rounded conductor.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/05/arts/music/gianandrea-noseda-to-lead-national-symphony-orchestra.html?_r=0

Offline ChrisH

Re: Gianandrea Noseda lands National Symphony (D.C.)
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2016, 01:50:48 PM »
His traversal of Alfredo Casella's orchestral works has been really good, too.

Offline waderice

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2016, 02:18:32 PM »
I heard him conduct in a couple of concerts here in Philadelphia.  I too, agree that he is a well-rounded conductor.  His M5 was featured in one of those concerts, and done very well.  The Casella discs I have in my collection, and they're very good.  In one of the two concerts, he did Casella's Symphonic Excerpts from "La Donna Serpente" and not being familiar with that composer, I was very impressed with that composer's orchestral writing, as well as the performance.  That performance led me to purchase the four Chandos Casella disks.

He definitely ought be a very good fit with the National Symphony.  Interesting, how he follows Eschenbach as Music Director, who used to be up here in Philly.

Wade

Offline AZContrabassoon

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2016, 03:24:02 PM »
For people like me his appointment is quite tantalizing. He's definitely one of the few conductors out there willing to go to the forgotten nooks and crannies of the repertoire: Rufinatscha, Karlowicz, Borodin, Casella, and more. I can only hope that he can bring the same stimulating repertoire to that orchestra. Or will he be hampered by the typical board of directors of a US orchestra and perform the tired, over-played repertoire that so many orchestras rely on? That orchestra certainly needs someone to lift their profile.

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2016, 04:24:02 PM »
"Or will he be hampered by the typical board of directors of a US orchestra and perform the tired, over-played repertoire that so many orchestras rely on?"

Amen, brother!

Offline shoobridge

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2016, 01:46:27 AM »
Noseda's recording of the Brahms Symphonies with Orquestra de CadaquƩs is among the very best in the catalogue.

Offline barry guerrero

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk