Author Topic: For the Love of Mahler  (Read 4374 times)

Offline David Boxwell

For the Love of Mahler
« on: January 12, 2016, 01:33:46 AM »
Jason Starr's absorbing 2105 film about Henry Louis de la Grange is now available on DVD, courtesy of VAI.  Zander's recordings provide the music excerpts, and interview subjects include Thomas Hampson, Ricardo Chailly, Mahler's granddaughter Marina, and Pierre Boulez.

Offline barry guerrero

Re: For the Love of Mahler
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2016, 06:26:11 AM »
"Zander's recordings provide the music excerpts"

That's a tad surprising but I also have NO problem with it at all, as most of Zander's recordings are really pretty good. I assume that means that there are no excerpts from M7 or M8 (?).

Offline waderice

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2016, 03:29:31 PM »
"Zander's recordings provide the music excerpts"

That's a tad surprising but I also have NO problem with it at all, as most of Zander's recordings are really pretty good. I assume that means that there are no excerpts from M7 or M8 (?).

Correct.  Zander has yet to make recordings of M7 and M8.  I've asked his publicist at his web site when those might be made, and an announcement still has yet to be made when.

Wade

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2016, 09:00:39 PM »
Zander already performed a really good M8 with his Boston Philharmonic. There was a 'pirate' of that floating around, once upon a time. I would be very interested in HIS take on M7, although my guess is that he'll regurgitate the same-old "Song of the Night" nonsense, and about how allegedly enigmatic it is - blah, blah, blah. The only thing enigmatic about M7 are people's inability to see something for what it plainly is - a refusal to accept the composer at face value. 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk