Author Topic: D.H.'s 10/10 review (Classicstoday) of Honeck/Pittsburgh S.O. M1 (Exton)  (Read 16884 times)

Offline barry guerrero

GUSTAV MAHLER
Symphony No. 1
Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra

Manfred Honeck

Exton- 00026(CD)
Reference Recording - Bernstein (DG); Boulez (DG); Gielen (Hänssler); Kubelik (DG)

rating: 10/10

In case you haven't noticed, Allegro now distributes Exton, an exciting prospect for American collectors tired of ordering direct from Japan and paying crazy prices for shipping. Conductor Manfred Honeck's credentials include a stint as a violist with the Vienna Philharmonic, not necessarily a good prospect given the fact that the orchestra only woke up to the value of Mahler when it realized it could make a quick buck playing him abroad, and otherwise has turned in more lousy and unidiomatic performances of Mahler's music than any orchestra aside from the Berlin Philharmonic. How delightful, then, to be able to report that this is unquestionably one of the great Mahler Firsts, a performance that has abundant character, ideas that work, and astounding playing, particularly from the Pittsburgh horn section.

Honeck claims that he has tried to emphasize the music's debt to Austro-Bohemian folk music, and to bring out (even exaggerate) its brilliant orchestral colors. That's exactly what he does, and it's surely the right way to go. The first movement "wakes up" naturally, atmospherically (great offstage trumpets), by imperceptible degrees, rising to a crushing climax leading to a raucous coda. The scherzo is a rustic, heavily accented, foot-stomping frenzy, while the trio has enough schmaltz to cause cardiac arrest. It works, though, because both here, in the central melody of the (splendidly parodistic) funeral march, and in the lyrical second theme of the finale, Honeck gets the strings to "float" their melodies with such gentleness, such seductively sweet vibrato (Roger Norrington please note), that the massive rubatos and hesitations work beautifully.

And speaking of the finale, the opening shriek is hair-raising, with the brass and percussion playing like demons. But it doesn't end there. If you really want to hear what a totally committed performance of this music ought to sound like, check out the entire passage after the second subject (beginning with the two tam-tam crashes), culminating in the false climax that leads back to the music of the first movement. It's insane. So too is the concluding chorale, with horns blazing--and an extra cymbal crash or two for good measure. The otherwise very quiet audience gives a rousing cheer at the end, and you will too for a fabulously recorded live performance that truly captures the freshness and daring of this work as few other versions have. If you want "you are there" sonic realism, and an interpretation that hits you right in the gut, then you must hear this. Bravo! [11/23/2009]

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
Re: D.H.'s 10/10 review (Classicstoday) of Honeck/Pittsburgh S.O. M1 (Exton)
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2009, 08:27:22 AM »
I'm so happy that I will be able to order Exton releases from Amazon now... ;D ;D ;D

I almost bought this disk the other day after reading Dave's review...had to wait to get the Gergiev M8 and some Bach too (from Perahia) first!

--Todd

Offline bruce

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2009, 03:31:54 PM »
Any idea how the Exton compares to Honeck's 1998 BBC SO M1 included with a BBC Music Magazine a few years ago?

Offline John Kim

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2009, 08:15:27 PM »
I'm so happy that I will be able to order Exton releases from Amazon now... ;D ;D ;D

I almost bought this disk the other day after reading Dave's review...had to wait to get the Gergiev M8 and some Bach too (from Perahia) first!

--Todd
I am not sure if we can order every Exton release from amazon.com or even from Allegro as DH said we can.

I visited amazon.com and they list only this M1 and M3 by Macal/CPO, nothing else from the label.

I don't see any Exton release available for sale on Allegro's website either :-X.

John,

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2009, 09:03:07 PM »
H&B Direct shows it as being "domestic". However, it still ain't cheap. Here's the link.

http://www.hbdirect.com/album_detail.php?pid=1095092

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2009, 09:07:13 PM »
Here's the Amazon link. They show used copies starting at 18.75. That's still too much for me, for a Mahler 1st (especially sans "Blumine" or any other coupling).

http://www.amazon.com/Mahler-Symphony-Titan-Hybrid-SACD/dp/B002AJW1YW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1259874238&sr=1-1

Offline John Kim

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2009, 12:17:19 AM »
But I want to order OTHER Exton recording from the domestic distributors and I don't think they have them for sale.

John,

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2009, 12:27:05 AM »
That's correct. So far, only a few Exton titles have been brought in by Allegro (or whomever it is). The only other Mahler one is the Macal/CPO M3.

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2009, 01:18:22 AM »
It looks like only recent and forthcoming Exton titles will be released by Allegro, not the older titles?

Offline sperlsco

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2009, 04:14:48 PM »
http://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/search.php?searchString=octavia&page=2

This UK-based company, Presto Classical, also sells certain Exton releases.  I don't remember if I've ever purchased from them or not, since I usually end up placing orders with HMV.jp. 
Scott

Offline brunumb

« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2009, 10:49:15 PM »
Hi Scott,
I regularly buy from Presto and also MDT in the UK.  Both provide fast and reliable service and freight is very reasonable.
They also regularly have discounted labels.  It might be worth subscribing to their newsletters.
Cheers

Offline sperlsco

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2009, 01:52:58 AM »
Hi Scott,
I regularly buy from Presto and also MDT in the UK.  Both provide fast and reliable service and freight is very reasonable.
They also regularly have discounted labels.  It might be worth subscribing to their newsletters.
Cheers

Yes I buy MDT all the time and would highly recommend them to US buyers since they have good prices and reasonable shipping costs.  I don't believe that they sell Exton though (though I may be wrong there), so it's good to know that Presto is legitimate. 
Scott

Offline sperlsco

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2009, 04:25:04 PM »
I listened to this performance a couple of times this weekend.  It is certainly justifies DH's 10/10 review.  One thing that jumped out at me, since I recently watched the video recording of Dudamel's LAPO M1 on PBS.  Honeck also does the slight hesitations at the beginning of the second movement (and at the reprise), but does so in a much less exaggerated fashion.  He actually makes it work, whereas Dudamel made it sound very strange. 

Overall, the playing is extremely colorful with lots of sharp accents.  Much of the music really jumps out at you.  The sound is splendid. 

This is certainly one of the best M1's in my collection. 
Scott

Offline Russ Smiley

« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2009, 06:20:59 PM »
I listened to this performance a couple of times this weekend.  It is certainly justifies DH's 10/10 review.  ...

Overall, the playing is extremely colorful with lots of sharp accents.  Much of the music really jumps out at you.  The sound is splendid. 

This is certainly one of the best M1's in my collection. 

I'll add my 2¢ in agreement.  This recording is excellent.  It is full of nuance, sensitivity, and swagger where appropriate.  I got the impression that the performers really cared about the music and how well they performed it.  The concluding applause suits me perfectly, too.  Tops my small collection of keeper M1s.
Russ Smiley

Offline James Meckley

« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2010, 03:02:27 PM »
Someone just posted this in another forum. For anyone in NYC in early February, here's an opportunity to hear Honeck's Mahler 1 live:

http://www.carnegiehall.org/article/press/press_release/112961.html

James
"We cannot see how any of his music can long survive him."
Henry Krehbiel, New York Tribune obituary of Gustav Mahler

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk