Author Topic: thoughts on Eji Oue/NDR Hannover M9 (Exton)  (Read 4098 times)

Offline barry guerrero

thoughts on Eji Oue/NDR Hannover M9 (Exton)
« on: January 01, 2010, 11:48:28 PM »
I would not recommend the Oue M9 as anyone's one and only recording of the work. But it sure is interesting. It's similar in conception to what Giulini was trying to do with the work. I think that Oue is far more successful than Giulini. The climaxes to the two outer movements are just as powerful under Oue, as they are with Giulini's Chicagoans. But Oue's inner two movements are far more disciplined.

If you haven't heard either recording, we're talking about tempi for the inner movements that are far slower than usual. For me, Oue takes the opening Laendler of the second movement a bit too slowly. But I like it that he takes the first waltz section quite slowly as well, then progressively speeds up in the next two waltz passages later on. I also think that some of the dull, autumnal-sounding transition material in the second movement, also could have flowed along a bit more. Still, it's different, and it's interesting. The Hannover people certainly play the daylights out of it (doesn't everybody now?).

The Rondo-Burlesque is also far slower than usual. But Oue manages to keep it very rhythmic and rigid sounding (which it should be). Like Alan Gilbert, he builds up a heck of a climax near the end of centrally located slow section. He also does an excellent job of progressively speeding up towards the end of the movement. Thus, the only "fast" music we hear is only at end of the Rondo-Burlesque.

It's interesting. It's very well played. Thus, I like it, but I would recommend it only as a supplemental recording. It's certainly a dark and powerful viewpoint about the work.

Barry

Offline John Kim

Re: thoughts on Eji Oue/NDR Hannover M9 (Exton)
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2010, 05:56:49 AM »
Barry,

Ditto here.

I think Oue's is also similar to MTT's reading with SFSO.

But his is better recorded and has more sympathetic - if NOT BETTER - playing from the orchestra.

Oue handles many transitions very convincingly despite the slow tempos. He is better than both Giulini and MTT in this sense.

The sound is about the best I ever heard in the digital format.

John,

« Last Edit: January 02, 2010, 08:02:41 PM by John Kim »

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
Re: thoughts on Eji Oue/NDR Hannover M9 (Exton)
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2010, 03:38:36 PM »
I agree Oue's M9 compares with Giulini and MTT, and tops the latter two in spades as much as I love the Giulini and MTT.  Like Barry, I only recommend Oue's M9 as an alternative account rather than a reference.  I also recommend this for fanatics (i.e. those who just can't get enough) of the M9 and those who seek exquisite sonics.  Like John says the sound of this recording is among the best.  

Despite the rather slow inner movements (I'm not able to listen to the very slow Landler everyday), this account is one of those off the beaten path that really packs a punch in terms of epic drama and power thanks to the dedicated playing of the orchestra under Oue and the sonics...not an M9 to play everyday perhaps, but to put on when one really wants to get to the nitty gritty and immerse in the sound world of the M9 like never before.  Everytime I listen to this account I'm deeply effected emotionally, and under aesthetic arrest in terms of the overall pacing and orchestral texture.  The sonics capture more of the score than most M9 recordings.  It really has to be heard to be believed!

--Todd

« Last Edit: January 02, 2010, 05:46:06 PM by Leo K »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk