Author Topic: Chandos Jarvi M7 samples  (Read 14082 times)

Offline stateworkers

• Statework, Free Great Broadcast Recordings
Re: Chandos Jarvi M7 samples
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2010, 09:50:09 PM »
Seems that the fleeting tempi choices (especially in the Scherzo) are the rage this year. I have 2010 recordings of the M7 where both Metzmacher with the DSO Berlin as well as Noseda with his customary BBC Phil forces push the speed limit. To me, it's always a touchstone of a performance to check the 3rd movement if nothing else, and as a first place to start from-memory comparisons.
Jarvi always did manage to push the velocity envelope (thinking his Chandos Shostakovich cycle, the 4th and 7th in particular) while giving it all and edge which kept you listening most times.
I'm curious to hear the whole thing now!

Guillermo
http://statework.blogspot.com
Statework, Free Great Broadcast Recordings:

Offline John Kim

« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2010, 05:38:41 PM »
I heard Noseda's M7th recording is included as a bonus in the current issue of BBC Music Magazine :).

John,

Offline sperlsco

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2010, 05:52:24 PM »
Seems that the fleeting tempi choices (especially in the Scherzo) are the rage this year. I have 2010 recordings of the M7 where both Metzmacher with the DSO Berlin as well as Noseda with his customary BBC Phil forces push the speed limit. To me, it's always a touchstone of a performance to check the 3rd movement if nothing else, and as a first place to start from-memory comparisons.
Jarvi always did manage to push the velocity envelope (thinking his Chandos Shostakovich cycle, the 4th and 7th in particular) while giving it all and edge which kept you listening most times.
I'm curious to hear the whole thing now!

Guillermo

I love Jarvi's S7. The battle theme in the first movement is absolutely terrifying, making just about every other version (except perhaps Lennie/CSO) seem way too tame by comparison. The only places that Jarvi's fast tempi miss the mark is in the first rush in the finale (a few minutes in) and in the very  final coda.

Conversely, this M7 just sounds wrong to me.   
Scott

Offline John Kim

« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2010, 06:00:44 PM »
Scott,

I am listening to Temirkanov/St. Petersburg PO/RCA S7th for the first time and like it very much.

What's your thought on this one?

John,

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2010, 01:01:37 AM »
"Conversely, this M7 just sounds wrong to me"

Of course it's wrong. But I think it's a good kind of wrong: thought provoking (memory erasing?); very well played; very well recorded. I'll take it over the MTT/SFSO one any day. I do like MTT's earlier LSO one, on the other hand.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2010, 01:06:07 AM by barry guerrero »

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2010, 09:21:53 PM »
This Jarvi M7 IS FANTASTIC.  Finally, I can hear the manic terror of the Nachtmusik movements and scherzo. I rarely listen to Scherchen these days (the bad sonics keep me away), but this recording is a good Scherchen-like replacement if you want an exciting alternative view of this work.

Jarvi's vision is very consistant here, and I never felt it was too fast...the M7 sounds great with a little power and drive added.  

As much as I love Mahler's orchestration in this work, I like to move along too.  I like Barry's idea that this symphony is a "travelogue" or sorts.  It's a Schuberterian work in many ways.  Also, the early 20th Century modernity of the work reminds me of Joyce's Ulysses, in that each movement is almost a different style than the previous.  Jarvi seems to highlight this Schubertian and Modernist quality in spades.

--Todd
« Last Edit: August 08, 2010, 10:20:44 PM by Leo K »

Offline mahler09

« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2010, 02:35:27 AM »
As much as I love Mahler's orchestration in this work, I like to move along too.  I like Barry's idea that this symphony is a "travelogue" or sorts.  It's a Schuberterian work in many ways.  Also, the early 20th Century modernity of the work reminds me of Joyce's Ulysses, in that each movement is almost a different style than the previous.  Jarvi seems to highlight this Schubertian and Modernist quality in spades.

Good thoughts on M7!  I am interested in hearing this recording...

Offline mike bosworth

Re: Bruno Walter Conducts M7
« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2010, 04:21:23 AM »

Bruno Walter actually conducted three performances of M7 in 1920.  They took place on March 5, 6, and 7 in Vienna, at the Grosser Musikvereinssaal.  At first only two performances had been announced.  The first on March 5th was billed as a “Festaufführung”, to be followed on the 6th by a “Viertes Zykluskonzert.”   

The first performance on March 5th was later re-billed as a public dress rehearsal (“Hauptprobe”).  It was then announced that due to demand an additional third performance would be added on March 7th.  A notice in the “Neue Freie Presse” for this performance may be seen here, near the top of column 3: 

http://tinyurl.com/387van8

Walter’s arrival in Vienna to begin rehearsals was noted in the “Neue Freie Presse” on March 3rd, which means he must have arrived a day or two before that.

It has been difficult to find many reviews of these performances with the resources available to me.  In a Feuilleton which appeared on March 8 (signed “J. K.” = Julius Korngold), three paragraphs were devoted to a review of the music and performance.  Only the last paragraph deals directly with Walter’s conducting (in the Finale).  I attempt to translate it as follows:

“Bruno Walter brought out this last movement with the most sensitive feeling, using a dynamic which saved on breath, wisely restrained, and scattered the light.  This excellent artist really approaches all Mahler-music with such a complete, singular understanding!  The knowledge and feeling that he possesses stood him in good stead with the Seventh as well.  Full performance fortune bloomed for this piece, which in previous Vienna presentations was abridged, but not this time.  A shortage of rehearsals could not be overcome.  The lines were perfectly, clearly drawn out; the spirit was present but the timbre stayed away, not to speak of flu-affected bells and tenor horn.  All the more wonderful then was the Mahler-loyalty of the audience, all of whom showed their readiness, even towards this weaker work of the Master, to provide feelings of appreciation”.

For those who can read German, the original text may be found at the bottom of column 2 (from the “Neue Freie Presse”, March 8, 1920):   

http://tinyurl.com/2vr8rrw

Assuming my translation is correct, Korngold implies that there were cuts (or not all movements played?) in previous Vienna performances (there can’t have been very many between Mahler’s death in 1911 and these Walter performances).

In the combined April 1920 issue of the “Musikblätter des Anbruch” (2nd Year, issues 7-8), there is an article entitled “Representative Mahler Performances in Vienna”.  I translate the very brief comments by the author (R. S. Hoffmann) as follows:

“…Also this year, he [Walter] fascinated us with the powerful ‘Seventh’, with which he unbelievably filled the hall three times.”

Mike Bosworth

I've never seen a reference to a B.W. Mahler 7, so I'll just have to take your word for it. Regardless, we have no idea how it sounded. Thanks.

It's not my word, it's De La Grange's (I'm not such an authority-not yet!  ;)). We have no idea how it sounded, but we could have a little bit of it if he could trace the score that he used (for example, he used to jot down timings and he did so even when he followed Mahler's interpretations).

Luca

Offline John Kim

« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2010, 05:01:41 AM »
Thanks for Mike's translations.

My grief... :'( that Walter never left a recording of the 7th. By today's standards, his exemplary restraint and warmth could have produced a radically different but fascinating Mahler Seventh.

John,

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2010, 05:20:36 PM »
"not to speak of flu-affected bells"

Next time, they need to get those bells vaccinated in time.

"his exemplary restraint and warmth could have produced a radically different but fascinating Mahler Seventh"

In other words, boring. We already have the recent Bernard Haitink for that.

Offline John Kim

« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2010, 09:24:50 PM »
This is one heck of a recording! :o :D

Not only the sound is drop dead gorgeous, the playing is nothing short of astounding and thrilling. I think I heard this orchestra playing Mahler once before with Svetlanov in M9th. That one was a fabulous recording but here they excel themselves sounding like a world class band.

I like Jarvi's reading a lot although he is fast in the two night music movts. But for a nice change, it's a perfect M7.

A fantastic release.

John,

Offline John Kim

« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2010, 09:30:33 PM »

Not only the sound is drop dead gorgeous, the playing is nothing short of astounding and thrilling. I think I heard this orchestra playing Mahler once before with Svetlanov in M9th. That one was a fabulous recording but here they excel themselves sounding like a world class band.

I like Jarvi's reading a lot although he is fast in the two night music movts. But for a nice change, it's a perfect M7.

A fantastic release.

John,
The players seem to have so much Mahlerian idioms under their skin.

I can't think of a better performance of this symphony!

It's that good.

John,

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2010, 10:32:47 PM »

A fantastic release.

John,
The players seem to have so much Mahlerian idioms under their skin.

I can't think of a better performance of this symphony!

It's that good.

John,

I totally agree John!  It's a knock out.

--Todd

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk