Author Topic: OT: RVW London Symphony  (Read 6263 times)

Offline akiralx

OT: RVW London Symphony
« on: September 08, 2010, 07:56:06 AM »
One of my favourite symphonies - it has of course been well recorded by Boult, Barbirolli, Previn and others, but I thought I would mention that Bryden Thomson's wonderful Chandos version has been reissued in a cheap incarnation.  This is probably the finest digital recording of this beautiful and powerful work.  I'll post a link later.

Offline barry guerrero

Re: OT: RVW London Symphony
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2010, 06:11:41 AM »
The first version, which was recorded by Richard Hickox, is also of interest, IMHO.

Offline Russell

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2010, 05:15:44 PM »
Love this work, too.  I cut my teeth on Barbirolli's mid-60's recording, but Previn's RCA recording remains my favorite.  Incidentally, RCA Japan recently reissued and remastered the Previn RVW recordings on CD (complete with their original US covers), but they sound horrible: overly bright and glassy compared with the previous (US/UK) issues.  Too bad.

Russell

Offline akiralx

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2010, 10:04:03 PM »
The first version, which was recorded by Richard Hickox, is also of interest, IMHO.

Yes, I have that on SACD, v interesting.  This is the Thomson CD:

http://www.amazon.com/Introduction-Ralph-Vaughan-Williams/dp/B000GNOHUK/ref=sr_1_28?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1284155983&sr=8-28

Never heard the Philharmonia Barbirolli version, only the earlier Halle which is definitel worth seeking out.

Offline sbugala

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2010, 01:59:52 AM »
I think RVW's symphonies are seriously underrated.  I don't mean this to take away from Sibelius, Mahler, or Bruckner; but I think RVW's symphonies rank right alongside of them.  His 9th, in particular, fascinates me. The only ones that attain "merely good" status for me are his 7th and 8th.

I like Vernon Handley's cycle. Slatkin's with the Philharmonia is good, but I would have preferred that he would have recorded it with the SLSO instead. (What can I say, it's my hometown bias showing, although I think critic David Hurwitz made a similar case in Fanfare, several years ago.) 

Great stuff!

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2010, 02:35:31 AM »
"I think RVW's symphonies are seriously underrated"

I completely agree. In fact, I think it would be a lot more useful if Tilson-Thomas would do a V-W symphony here in S.F. once in a while, than keep on doing Mahler symphonies over and over.

Barry

Offline BeethovensQuill

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2010, 02:41:21 PM »
Vaughan Williams symphonies are indeed great, i have the Handley and Haitink sets and the Hickox original London which after listening could understand why he cut it i prefer his revised version, and Handley's account of the London for me is the one to have, that slow movement just seems to evoke London at night with handley i feel Haitink dwells to much.

Offline mahler09

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2010, 08:35:59 PM »
I think that Vaughn-Williams in general doesn't get as much playing as it should.  He is really a great composer and I love his unique harmonies.

Offline akiralx

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2010, 09:58:35 AM »
I was enjoying Bryden Thomson's LSO recording of the Sixth today. 

Another favourite is the Piano Concerto (solo version), played by Howard Shelley with Vernon Handley on Lyrita.

Offline BeethovensQuill

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2010, 10:33:28 AM »
Since we are mentioning other RVW works must put in a mention for Flos Campi, a stunningly sublime work for viola, orchestra and choir.  Handley again for me proves to be a great RVW conductor.

Offline mahler09

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2010, 07:27:36 PM »
Just remembered that I like his oboe concerto too!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk