Author Topic: Zinman ZTO M9m samples  (Read 45248 times)

Offline John Kim

Re: Zinman ZTO M9m samples
« Reply #30 on: August 25, 2010, 03:53:59 PM »
I take liberty of attaching a message sent by Todd: :-* ;)

"John,

Zinman's M9 is simply a knock out!  I'm crushed by such an emotional experience!  It reminds me somewhat of Nott, but sounds like it was created on a bigger scale, or larger canvas.  Nott's is perhaps a little more personal in tone, but Zinman's interpretation is both personal, AND cosmic. Indeed, it is like a mind meld between Lenny and Karajan! But don't get me wrong, Zinman is his own man here.  AND he improves on his Aspen performance by MILES.

You can be rest assured about the climaxes...the sonics and orchestra are more than up to the challenge.  As a matter of fact, Zinman's orchestra is the one element that puts him slightly ahead of Nott.  I have a feeling Hurwitz will mention this later. Nott's M9 is like a sister to Zinman's account.  I like both, and both are of the highest standard in playing, tone, and drama for an M9 of the 21st Century.  I have a feeling you will be very impressed with the playing.

As you know, I still love the Rattle BPO M9, but it can't compete in terms of sonics. Zinman, Nott, Oue, and MTT are the creme of the crop in terms of sonics.

The third climax in I. may be the most impressive sonically, in terms of hearing all that is in the score here.  The rusticity of the minuet will make you smile, again, I have to mention how fine the orchestra is, especially in dynamics.

The blooming crescendos in the Rondo will also surprise you. AND the final climax in the Adagio will blow your mind. The sonics are perhaps the best of the cycle. Matching and perhaps exceeding his M3, M6 and M8 recordings.

The tempos, again, are like Nott, meaning that Zinman is patient, and there is no unnecessary rushing during any of the climaxes, thank God.  I like how the climaxes in I. are not rushed.  The tempos are treated with thought, and care, during the transitions all over the score.  Energy is not wasted, and this brings huge dividends later as the score progresses movement to movement.

I can't wait for you to hear it.  I'm almost sure this recording will lay you out on the floor...and your wife will have to help you to your feet!

More later...I will post publicly when I get my thoughts in order.

Cheers!!!!!

--Todd"

Offline chalkpie

« Reply #31 on: August 25, 2010, 06:29:57 PM »
Cool beans.

In your humble opinion, does this recording compare to Chailly's M9?

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
« Reply #32 on: August 25, 2010, 06:45:43 PM »
chalkpie, I like the sonics better on the Zinman, but Chailly is no slouch, he has the RCO after all! I'd have to revisit the Chailly again for a more in depth comparison, but Zinman's M9 appears to have a little more drive and power, but again, it's been awhile since I heard the Chailly.  Zinman's orchestra really sound great, and the playing is top notch all the way.

It's the morning after, and I still feel the same about the Zinman... 8)  :D Thanks John for taking the liberty, as I was going to just post that anyway!  ;)

--Todd

Offline Michael

• Adagio Appassionato, Addolorato A Niente
    • My Railroad Audio Recordings
« Reply #33 on: August 25, 2010, 07:56:17 PM »
Oh, wow...I've gotta hear this...

CDUniverse's website says that the SACD cannot play on a standard CD player...is that the case?  Because I don't have an SACD player.
Michael

Offline John Kim

« Reply #34 on: August 25, 2010, 08:42:15 PM »
Oh, wow...I've gotta hear this...

CDUniverse's website says that the SACD cannot play on a standard CD player...is that the case?  Because I don't have an SACD player.
That shouldn't be the case.

I also ordered one copy from this place but i hasn't been shipped yet.

Strangely, there seems to a release of regular CD version coming soon.

John,

Offline brunumb

« Reply #35 on: August 25, 2010, 09:52:03 PM »
The comments here have sold me !
I've ordered mine from Grooves-Inc in Europe.  The listing says Hybrid SACD.

http://www.grooves-inc.com/product_info.php/products_id/688335135?osCsid=3c876c3639ad602f9c1b2f25a81c3091

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #36 on: August 26, 2010, 01:14:18 AM »
It's really good for such an expansive performance. The first mvt. is over 30 minutes, and the finale goes past 28. The two inner movements are fairly normal. I really like Zinman's second mvt. Overall, Zinman's 9th  reminds me a lot of the Levine/Philly one, but with much better sound.

I'm sure that there aren't separate "red book" issues of the cd. In other words, I'm sure they're all hybrids.

Barry

Offline chalkpie

« Reply #37 on: August 26, 2010, 01:22:02 AM »
chalkpie, I like the sonics better on the Zinman, but Chailly is no slouch, he has the RCO after all! I'd have to revisit the Chailly again for a more in depth comparison, but Zinman's M9 appears to have a little more drive and power, but again, it's been awhile since I heard the Chailly.  Zinman's orchestra really sound great, and the playing is top notch all the way.

--Todd

Todd - If you're feeling up to it, is there any way you can revisit Chailly's M9 and do a bit of a comparison? I love the Chailly to bits - so if this one is even close, I may have to jump! Thanks man!

Offline Michael

« Reply #38 on: August 26, 2010, 01:56:17 AM »
So you've got yours too, Barry?  Where did you get it from?  I'm trying to find the quickest way to get one but everyone seems to be backordered.  D:
Michael

Offline Michael

« Reply #39 on: August 26, 2010, 01:58:16 AM »
In case it hasn't shown through...I really wanna hear this.  I've really liked Zinman's M5 and M6, and judging by the reviews I've read this appears as though it might give the Rattle/BPO a run for its money.

In any event...I'm a sucker for a good M9.  ;-)
Michael

Offline Michael

« Reply #40 on: August 26, 2010, 05:10:13 AM »
Amazon.co.uk has the MP3 download available here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mahler-Symphony-No-digital-booklet/dp/B003Z630VW

Am I able to buy that MP3 album using my account, being in the U.S.?  If so will Amazon handle the appropriate currency conversions on the credit card?
Michael

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
« Reply #41 on: August 26, 2010, 05:14:20 AM »
Amazon.co.uk has the MP3 download available here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mahler-Symphony-No-digital-booklet/dp/B003Z630VW

Am I able to buy that MP3 album using my account, being in the U.S.?  If so will Amazon handle the appropriate currency conversions on the credit card?

Hi Michael,  I remember when I ordered through Amazon UK, I needed a new account.  When I ordered, the currency conversation was automatic, if I remember correctly.  You may even want to call Amazon to make sure. 

I ordered my copy from Grooves-Inc, like Brunumb did, and I got it in less than a week! 

--Todd

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
« Reply #42 on: August 26, 2010, 05:17:11 AM »

--Todd

Todd - If you're feeling up to it, is there any way you can revisit Chailly's M9 and do a bit of a comparison? I love the Chailly to bits - so if this one is even close, I may have to jump! Thanks man!

I wish I could, but I'm about to fly out of Arizona for my vacation.  I may burn it to my iPod to listen on the way!

--Todd

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #43 on: August 26, 2010, 07:13:49 AM »
I'm sorry, but I can't and won't reveal my source. I'm sure that this person got their copy from Japan. Anyway, mine is a burnt copy from that one. But not to worry, it'll show up soon enough!

Anyway,  I'm not sure that I like hearing the 9th played in such an expansive manner more than a couple times per year. For day-to-day listening, I like how the piece is proportioned more on the Alan Gilbert M9 (first movement: 25-something, last movement: 26-something). Masur's N.Y. M9 is proportioned very much the same way, but I like Gilbert's even more.

Offline John Kim

« Reply #44 on: August 26, 2010, 05:30:33 PM »
Overall, Zinman's 9th  reminds me a lot of the Levine/Philly one, but with much better sound.

Barry
That's really good to hear as I love the Levine very much.

Regards,

John,

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk