Author Topic: three upcoming M8 performances in the U.S.  (Read 4207 times)

Offline barry guerrero

three upcoming M8 performances in the U.S.
« on: January 23, 2016, 12:10:27 AM »
It looks like the Salt Lake City M8 will end up getting recorded by R.R.'s (let's hope). Hopefully the Philadelphia Orchestra will issue their performances in some sort of commemorative way.

https://www.stjohndivine.org/visit/calendar/events/music/12964/great-choir-gustav-mahlers-symphony-no-8

http://www.kimmelcenter.org/events/?id=5171

http://www.utahsymphony.org/15-16-season/special-events/1129-oc-tanner-gift-of-music-mahler-symphony-no-8

Offline waderice

Re: three upcoming M8 performances in the U.S.
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2016, 01:11:48 AM »
I too, hope that the Philly performance of M8 will be issued in some fashion or another.  It's too historic a concert to not commemorate without issuing a recording of it.  When Eschenbach was music director, Ondine issued several CDs and SACDs of some of their performances, that included M2 and M6.  Not sure if Philly still has a contract with them, though I kind of doubt it.  I will be at the March 13 performance.

Wade

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2016, 08:40:08 AM »
I'm pretty sure that Ondine's commitment to Philly has ended. DG has made a few recordings with Nezet-Seguin, but I hardly doubt that they'll pull the plug out of their arse to get this recorded. At least they did issue Dudamel's truly "symphony of a thousand". Maybe it'll show up at Medici tv, but I kind of doubt it.

Offline waderice

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2016, 10:12:31 PM »
DG has made a few recordings with Nezet-Seguin, but I hardly doubt that they'll pull the plug out of their arse to get this recorded. At least they did issue Dudamel's truly "symphony of a thousand".

I bought the Dudamel M8, and while visually excellent, the organ sounded almost nonexistent.  Overall, the sound was fairly decent, but to me, it sounded like there were some sonic "blind spots" in the sound field of the recording.  What they probably should have done was to place only two microphones above the entire performing apparatus/chorus (like the BBC did for Horenstein's M8, using a Blumlein sound field pair), and a couple at the back to get the surround sound aspect of the recording covered.  Granted, accurately recording 1,400 performers is an almost impossible task.  Some of the camera work could have been improved upon, though I think that might have been due to the producer's likely lack of knowledge of the work.  Bottom line, this effort was a true labor of love for all those involved, and it was a wonderful experience to see the enthusiasm of the children, as well as some of the adult singers in the main choruses.  In their wildest dreams, they probably never thought that they would have such an opportunity to be involved in a performance of the work.  And not a bad performance to boot.  People will likely continue to debate the soloists ad infinitum, however.

Wade

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2016, 05:39:10 AM »
Agreed. It's a keeper for me, as I really like hearing the work with that many choristers.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk