Author Topic: Sorry, but I think the Kaufmann/Nott/VPO "DLvdE" is very good (after long pause)  (Read 2248 times)

Offline barryguerrero

Sorry, but I have to take a, "I don't care what anybody thinks" type of stand: I think the Kaufmann/Nott/VPO/Sony "Das Lied von der Erde" is really quite good. I wouldn't call it my personal favorite, but I think Kaufmann's restrained approach to "der Abschied" is absolutely correct. Look at the dynamic markings in the score. More to the point, the Vienna Phil. plays fabulously on this one (I revisited this after setting it aside for a long while).

In prior recordings of "DLvdE", the VPO's older style woodwinds have left a bit to be desired. Not so here (Nott so here?). For once, the VPO's woodwinds play with both agility and delicacy (and always in tune). They're a joy to hear. I think Jonathan Nott's pacing is pretty much right on the money. The recording sounds very good on my system too. I like it.

My personal favorite in "DLvdE" is another one that nobody is supposed to like: Jessye Norman/Jon Vickers/Colin Davis/L.S.O./Philips. It's a flawed recording in many respects, but it has lots of character and Jessye Norman is incredible.

There are a lot of good ones. I like any of them with Janet Baker. And I love the Sinopoli (DG) for the incredibly beautiful playing of the Dresden Staatskapelle.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk