Author Topic: Jansons/BRSO Mahler 3rd will be remastered and reissued in November.  (Read 3595 times)

Offline John Kim

The BR Klassik thus confirmed. It was previously available only for BRSO subscribers.

I like it a lot and think it's the best of the three Jansons M3rds  - OPO, RCO, and BRSO.

John

Offline barryguerrero

Re: Jansons/BRSO Mahler 3rd will be remastered and reissued in November.
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2021, 11:22:14 PM »
As you know John, I'm not a huge Jansons fan. However, I completely agree with you in terms of his BRSO M3. I have a pirate of it and it's very good. I'll will probably want to get this remastered version too. Thanks for the heads-up. That said, do they really need to wait until November?    .      .    .    Maybe they're planning some sort of memorial concert then.

Offline John Kim

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2021, 11:31:28 PM »
Barry,

My bet is that they'll probably release a complete Jansons/BRSO Mahler cycle by adding the 4th, 6th, and 8th that were not released previously. And his 3rd would be a part of the box set.

Yes, this M3rd is just great with no weak points throughout.

Let's wait and see.

John

Offline John Kim

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2021, 11:36:47 PM »
Judging from how much the sonics of Jansons/BRSO M2nd got improved thanks to their remastering, my fingers are crossed. Ditto Haitink/BRSO M3rd and M9th which are now included in the Haitink Portrait set. They sound miles, miles better than they did before.

John

Offline erikwilson7

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2021, 11:51:02 PM »
This is great news. I’m not big on Jansons’ Mahler either, but he has some random hits like his LSO M6, the BRSO M1, and all three of his M7s. I also like his M9 with the BRSO. Everything else is a dud to my ears.

I thought the RCO M3 was just a bit above average, and if this BRSO one is truly better then I think we are in for a treat.

And the Haitink M3 with the BRSO was very good, if only the first movement wasn’t sooo steadily paced. Reminds me of Boulez’s a bit, but Boulez has a quicker ‘base’ tempo.

Offline John Kim

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2021, 12:05:02 AM »
Erik,

I am glad you like Jansons/BRSO M9th!! I think the recording is really special. It's not an earthshaking performance but beautifully proportioned, phrased, and played. And it has the BRSO stamp all over it, I mean the fully saturated, smooth, and rich sonority of the orchestra.

I also like his BRSO M5th which I think is superior to his RCO version. In fact, he delivered a phenomenal M5th back in the 90s with PSO and much of the energy, fire, and insights of that concert are carried over to the Munich performance.

I've heard Jansons/BRSO M6th and really liked it too. Energetic, propulsive, very refined with many details.

John

Offline barryguerrero

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2021, 03:57:35 AM »
I'm not sure I would want to get a whole box of Jansons Mahler, especially since I have some of those already in the BRSO's Mahler box with various conductors. I got that box mostly because of my favoritism to the Colin Davis M8. For me to want do that, the M6 and M8 from Jansons would have to be really special. Anyway, this all appears to be in the distant future.

Offline Freddy van Maurik

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2021, 12:28:55 PM »
Hi all,

Maybe this warrants a new topic, but I just wanted te share that I got me a copy of the Jansons Edition box set. I'm slightly ashamed of spending 230 euro's for this, but luckily there's a lot to be liked in it!
I've just been listening to the M8 and I really like it. Not all vocalists are at their best, though...

Cheers!
Freddy

Offline erikwilson7

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2021, 02:06:48 PM »
Thanks for the update! I'm super curious about this box.

I'm wondering... what are the timings for the Jansons M4, M6, and M8?

It might be a silly question, but it helps me understand the general flow of the recordings.

Offline barryguerrero

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2021, 10:08:29 PM »
My problem is that I can't afford to spend that much money for a bunch of items I don't want or need, especially conducted by such a 'middle of the road' kind of guy like Jansons. I would bet anything BR Klassiks could sell a lot more boxes if they were to issue just his Mahler.

Offline erikwilson7

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2021, 10:12:14 PM »
Absolutely ^^^

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk