Author Topic: Chailly's Leipzig cycle is being boxed up  (Read 2485 times)

Offline erikwilson7

Chailly's Leipzig cycle is being boxed up
« on: April 16, 2021, 08:35:37 PM »
Well, it's official. We aren't getting a Chailly Leipzig M3. Accentus is putting the whole cycle (1–2, 4–9) in a box set. For some reason M3 is listed in the contents of the box, though it won't contain it; probably a typo on Presto's end.

For anyone who hasn't seen/heard these yet: this is the video Mahler cycle to get. Sub in Abbado's Lucerne M3 and you're all set.

https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/8893537--mahler-symphony-nos-1-2-4-9

Offline barryguerrero

Re: Chailly's Leipzig cycle is being boxed up
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2021, 05:15:19 AM »
It really annoys me that they didn't complete this cycle. Without an M3, no way would I get this. I do have a few of them now. I'm more interested in the other way around. By that, I mean I hope DG will be allowed to issue a separate Abbado/Lucerne Mahler and Bruckner box on CD's (and whatever else there was from Lucerne). For that, it would be great if they included Chailly's Lucerne M8 performance (Abbado had already passed away, so #8 went to Chailly).

Offline erikwilson7

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2021, 05:17:00 PM »
I ordered this box set and it should be here this week. I'm very excited, needless to say. It's too bad that there will not be a M3. From this set I have never seen 1, 5, 6, and 9. I have heard snippets on YouTube and they sound tremendously good to my ears.

I forgot to respond to you, Barry. I agree, these performances (and Abbado's Lucerne ones) should also be transferred to CD. I have the complete Lucerne Mahler cycle (with Chailly's Lucerne M8). Since Chailly 'finished' Abbado's Lucerne cycle, I have no problem substituting in Abbado's Lucerne M3 to 'finish' this Chailly Leipzig cycle when I watch it since he was Abbado's assistant, and Abbado's approach is pretty consistent with Chailly's approach in Leipzig: quicker (than Chailly's studio accounts at least), tight, incredibly played, and focused on clarity and structure. This is how I like my Mahler to sound, too. They both do away with the slower, Romanticized dramatic aspects in these cycles.

If Chailly ever did a M3 in Leipzig and this were all transferred to a CD cycle of some sort, we'd have a Mahler cycle for the ages.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2021, 06:42:23 PM by erikwilson7 »

Offline barryguerrero

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2021, 06:29:11 AM »
That's a healthy perspective on your part. I'm still sore about there not being a Chailly M3 remake. Anyway, I'm selling off some things so I can buy myself a hard copy of the Berlin Phil's Mahler box. I'm liking everything I've heard so far, very, very much.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk