Author Topic: You knew it was coming: M6 with Rattle/B.R.S.O. on BR Klassik  (Read 1916 times)

Offline barryguerrero

You knew it was coming: M6 with Rattle/B.R.S.O. on BR Klassik
« on: January 15, 2024, 07:54:26 PM »
https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/9591676--mahler-symphony-no-6#tracklist

It sounds pretty good. As usual with Rattle, the Scherzo is on the fast and tight side.

« Last Edit: January 16, 2024, 02:19:30 AM by barryguerrero »

Offline Russ Smiley

Re: You knew it was coming: M6 with Rattle/B.R.S.O. on BR Klassik
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2024, 04:22:57 PM »
From the samples, I have to agree that this release sounds promising.
This is a symphony where (for me) the details can distinguish the whole, so I will await reports on those.
Thank you, Barry, for bringing it to our attention.
Russ Smiley

Offline John Kim

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2024, 06:37:35 PM »
This is good news although I rather doubt it will exceed Rattle's previous M6th with BPO (his farewell performance in Berlin).

John

Offline erikwilson7

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2024, 08:20:24 PM »
John, I agree. That one is hard to beat, but I’ll have to reserve judgment until I hear the entire new recording. I prefer the BRSO over Berlin, so it already has that going for me.

Offline barryguerrero

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2024, 09:08:26 PM »
I've already jettisoned the Vanska/Minnesota M6. I'm thinking if this new one is really good, I might make it my one and only M6 in A/S order on CD, and jettison the Adam Fischer and Daniel Harding ones. I kind of like the Harding one (reminds me a bit Kubelik/BRSO), but I suspect this new BR Klassik one will have better sound quality. Also, I need to 'pychologically and emotionally' make room for the coming Bychkov/C.P.O. one.

While I like the inner two movements on the Vanska (in the less desirable order, of course), I'm just not crazy about his two outer movements. I doubt I would ever get rid of his M2, M7, M8 and M10.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2024, 09:21:22 PM by barryguerrero »

Offline erikwilson7

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2024, 09:49:03 PM »
That Bychkov M6 could be a game-changer.

If Rattle does more Mahler with the BRSO, I’ll surely be paying attention. “Late” Rattle’s Mahler has been his best (by far, in my opinion).

Also, if Vänskä’s M6 outer movements had as much momentum/drive as the inner two, I’d like it better. Still, it’s a minor complaint for an otherwise solid cycle.

Offline John Kim

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2024, 04:19:04 AM »
Yep, the upcoming Bychkov/CPO M6th will eclipse all others!^ I have heard it and I thought it was truly great, even better than his NYPO recording.

Cross your fingers!

John

Offline John Kim

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2024, 04:35:08 AM »
>  if Vänskä’s M6 outer movements had as much momentum/drive as the inner two, I’d like it better.

--> I quite like Vanska's opening movt. of the symphony but as you do I have some serious reservation about his Finale: it just doesn't seem to 'wake up' until the first hammer blow and that nearly kills the movement.

John

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk