Author Topic: OT: Shostakovich 8th w/ Haitink/BRSO on BR Klassik  (Read 1904 times)

Offline barryguerrero

OT: Shostakovich 8th w/ Haitink/BRSO on BR Klassik
« on: January 25, 2024, 09:18:20 PM »
I'm looking forward to this Shostakovich 8th release with Haitink and the Bavarian Radio S.O. I think the 8th was possibly the highlight of Haitink's Shostakovich cycle for Decca. It came before a whole big slough of other really good S8 recordings happened (Slatkin, Jansons, Rostroprovich - everyone!). Presto Classical does have some brief samples available.

https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/9591675--shostakovich-symphony-no-8-c-minor

Offline waderice

Re: OT: Shostakovich 8th w/ Haitink/BRSO on BR Klassik
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2024, 12:00:54 PM »
As part of the large Haitink/Concertgebouw box I have is included his Shostakovich symphony cycle.  I'll have to listen to that Eighth again, and I will keep an eye out for the BR Klassik release.  Thanks, Barry!

Wade

Offline barryguerrero

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2024, 01:21:09 AM »
Hey guys, this is up on Spotify now. The sound quality is quite good. Big tam-tam smashes.

Offline barryguerrero

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2024, 12:49:32 AM »
Hey guys, I'd love to hear some feedback on this recording. I know it's off-topic, but I think there's enough Mahler in S8 to make it almost topical. Personally, I love this performance. It's a bit slower and heavier than usual, but it just rings true to me. Try to give it a listen and let me know what you think. It's on Spotify and I'm sure on other streaming services as well.

Offline sbugala

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2024, 07:40:18 PM »
I thought overall it was an excellent performance. Clarity...but all the needed power. The second movement in particular revealed some cool stuff. There was a low note that I never paid that much attention to before that was startling enough that I thought it was a vehicle near me (car listening). As you said...great tam tam smashes.

I know Haitink didn't always have successes match initial tries...but I think this time he approached/tied it...and in the case of the second movement...improved.

Offline ChrisH

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2024, 03:22:38 PM »
Not a big Shostakovich fan, but I took a listen anyway. That trumpet solo in the 3rd movement is very sexy. Sounds like big Bb rotary. Absolutely loved it. Overall, I really liked the atmosphere and the mysteriousness Haitink got from the BRSO. Enjoyed it quite a bit, and will probably check out a few more recordings of the 8th. 

Offline barryguerrero

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2024, 02:52:00 AM »
I suppose that that's one issue a person could make: the fact that the solo trumpet in the third movement is very much different than the more direct Russian approach.

Offline Roland Flessner

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2024, 05:25:45 AM »
I'm not a big fan of the trumpet solo in III on this recording. It's almost legato. The score doesn't include articulation markings, but it seems out of character to me.

That aside, overall this is a really good recording. I will grouse that the tamtam seems a bit shallow at the big climax. Jansons/Pittsburgh really shines here.

Offline barryguerrero

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2024, 06:37:59 AM »
"Jansons/Pittsburgh really shines here"   .   .    .  Indeed!!!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk