Author Topic: My brief review of Vanska/M.O./BIS M3  (Read 831 times)

Offline barryguerrero

My brief review of Vanska/M.O./BIS M3
« on: June 07, 2024, 06:33:41 PM »
I think Vanska's new M3 is a fitting conclusion to the cycle. It incorporates some of the best and - at times - least appealing aspects of Vanska's Mahler cycle in general. I have feeling that Vanska saved M3 for last, due to an awareness of the legendary Klaus Tennstedt performance of M3 with the Minnesota Orchestra from the latter 1980's (it's on Youtube!). Vanska's M3 is a complete 180 opposite of the Tennstedt, which was an impulsive performance that positively caught fire. Here, the star performer is the sound quality itself, although Jennifer Johnston is outstanding in the 10 minute vocal movement. The amount of small detail in the Vanska is astounding - leaving no stone unturned in Mahler's kaleidoscopic orchestration. I'm slightly put off by what I feel is a tad of Maazel like lethargy in the first and third movements. That said, I'm happy that Vanska didn't rush the 'happy' march in F major (it so often times is rushed). I wish the offstage posthorn solo - beautifully played, by the way - were a tad closer sounding and a bit more flowing in tempo. The coda to the third movement is superb, possibly the best it's ever been captured. Sadly, the same can't be said for the coda of the first movement. It's sounds a tad confused and disjointed (over-thought, perhaps). For me, the three strongest movements are the second movement, the 10 minute vocal movement, and the "bim, bam" choral movement. The last movement is very nicely done, if also a tad restrained for my liking. Still, there is much to like in this performance, and there certainly isn't a better sounding M3 out there.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2024, 06:40:53 PM by barryguerrero »

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
Re: My brief review of Vanska/M.O./BIS M3
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2024, 08:18:59 PM »
On first listen I agree with all these points. I wish the first movement was quicker, more urgent, that would have been nice with all that detail. More listens may improve my experience with it we’ll see. Overall definitely worth more listens.

Offline barryguerrero

Re: My brief review of Vanska/M.O./BIS M3
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2024, 12:34:26 AM »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk