Author Topic: It appears BIS has revised or corrected their timings for Vanska M3  (Read 735 times)

Offline barryguerrero

Here's the JPC Germany posting of the Vanska/M.O. M3 recording. The backside of the cover shows the first movement to be slightly less than 36 minutes, and the finale to by short of 24 minutes by 12 seconds or so. The "bim, bam" choral movement is lengthened slightly to 4:20. I think these corrections are probably more accurate.

https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/art/gustav-mahler-symphony-no-3-in-d-minor/hnum/11861814

Offline erikwilson7

Re: It appears BIS has revised or corrected their timings for Vanska M3
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2024, 08:46:25 PM »
I see what you mean. I compared them to Presto (their digital listing) as well as Apple Music, which has the same durations as Presto.

Here's my hypothesis: I know that BIS adds about 30 seconds of pointless silence at the end of all of these symphonies. For example, the finale of M7 displays as 18:00, but the actual music stops around 17:30. My guess is that the CD's timing isn't accounting for any extra silence that BIS adds on to the tracks.

Offline James Meckley

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2024, 09:52:18 AM »
Here are the exact movement timings of the Vänskä M3 with leading and trailing silences trimmed:

35:52
9:33
18:55
10:26
4:21
23:37
"We cannot see how any of his music can long survive him."
Henry Krehbiel, New York Tribune obituary of Gustav Mahler

Offline erikwilson7

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2024, 04:07:50 PM »
Thanks, that's really interesting. Somehow some of the movements (like II) are listed on the CD as even a few seconds shorter than the timings without silence.

Offline barryguerrero

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2024, 07:18:29 PM »
I've decided a new tactic. I want to eventually get a hard copy of this Vanska M3, but I want to wait until I can it for less money somewhere. In the process, I would like sell off my sacd/cd hybrid discs of the Boulez/V.P.O. M3, and just keep the Boulez Mahler box set instead. The box set has something after the finale to M3 - "Das Klagende Lied", I believe. That way, I can back up and hear just the last five minutes or so of the finale. I'll also sell off my copy of the Netopil/Essen M3, which I mostly just got for its great cover (I put it up with my 'Mahler shrine' on top of a display case I have). I'll still have sacd/cd hybrid discs of the Honeck/Pittsburgh and Zinman/Zurich Tonhalle M3 recordings.

Offline erikwilson7

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2024, 09:19:25 PM »
My box cycle just arrived and I wanted to audit these timings. Weirdly enough, on the website link in the first post on this topic, the total timing for the symphony is listed at 104'07 which isn't the sum of the movement timings in the image—and that image comes from the back of the CD case. HOWEVER, in the M3 booklet itself, it lists the same timings—the ones sans added silence—but has the correct, revised timing of 103'19.

The 104'07 sum comes from the timings of the digital files as seen on Presto, streaming services, etc.

If anyone is curious, the booklets for each CD do indeed have the revised, sans silence timings for each movement and the whole recording.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2024, 09:21:11 PM by erikwilson7 »

Offline erikwilson7

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2024, 09:22:51 PM »
The back of the box set says: "TT: 13h 7m 48s"

God only knows if that's correct.

Offline barryguerrero

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2024, 03:36:08 AM »
Get out your stop watch!  ;D :o :-*

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk