Author Topic: Mahler Biography  (Read 9687 times)

Offline merlin

• Evening Sun
Mahler Biography
« on: February 17, 2012, 12:27:54 AM »
It seems like a good idea for me to read another biography, since it has been quite a few years since I first did so.  I perused the reviews at Amazon, and all of the books seem to have some serious drawbacks.

Fischer was highly rated, but Barry's criticisms rang loudly, and put me off.

So, where shall I begin, other than LaGrange?  I am not wanting interpretations of his works, but details of his life.

Offline Constantin

Re: Mahler Biography
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2012, 12:40:00 AM »
Merlin,

One good book might be "Recollections of Gustav Mahler" by Natalie Bauer-Lechner.
She went on frequent walks with Mahler, and offers a firsthand account of what he said to her, as he spoke of some of his pre-Alma symphonies.

Another one I like is, "Mahler, his life, works & world" by Kurt and Herta Blaukopf.
It includes many photos, and takes a chronological "walk" through Mahler's life that is easy and interesting to follow.

When you want to get into a study of each symphony, my favorite resource is a book written by a contributor here at the GMboard:  David Hurwitz.
His "The Mahler Symphonies: an owner's manual" goes into detail about each symphony and has excellent tables where you can reference topics like  "Screams, Crashes, and Thuds," and the appearance of recurring themes.  If you're lucky, the book will even include in the back a sample reference CD to hear the points David makes.

Enjoy your entry into the life of Mahler.  The more I learn, the more I want to know.

Constantin
« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 12:41:40 AM by Constantin »
Und ruh' in einem stillen Gebiet

Offline James Meckley

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2012, 12:57:12 AM »
Which one did you read several years ago?

For a biography of quite manageable length, I've always liked Jonathan Carr's Mahler: A Biography.

For a more substantial one-volume work, I feel that the strengths of the Fischer more than counterbalance its weaknesses. Egon Gartenberg's Mahler: The Man and His Music is also good but, of course, it contains a substantial section on the works themselves (which you could easily ignore—it makes up the final 3/8 of the book).

James
"We cannot see how any of his music can long survive him."
Henry Krehbiel, New York Tribune obituary of Gustav Mahler

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2012, 02:46:46 AM »
"Egon Gartenberg's Mahler: The Man and His Music is also good but, of course, it contains a substantial section on the works themselves (which you could easily ignore—it makes up the final 3/8 of the book)"

I like the Gartenberg very much and I feel that his discussion on the music is far better than Fischer's (who keeps quoting that annoying, out-dated and slightly patronizing Theodor Adorno). For most people, I think the Gartenberg is plenty. It depends on just how much detail you want.

It's hard to find but the Constantin Floros book on the symphonies is really pretty good. Don't dismiss Alma's book of reminiscences that also includes many of Mahler's letters - the letters are great! 

Offline James Meckley

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2012, 03:55:39 AM »
Just to clarify, I didn't mean to suggest that Gartenberg's section on the works is not good. I mentioned ignoring it because Merlin wrote that he only wanted to read about Mahler's life, preferring not to encounter any interpretation of his works.

James

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2012, 04:00:27 AM »
Understood.

Offline merlin

• Evening Sun
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2012, 05:02:16 AM »
« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 05:12:41 AM by merlin »

Offline James Meckley

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2012, 05:31:16 AM »
but Gartenberg is OOP.

Amazon.com has many used copies available at quite reasonable prices. Check their alternate sellers and read the condition descriptions carefully before ordering.

James

Offline Constantin

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2012, 07:50:42 AM »
I'll enthusiastically second James and Barry in recommending the Egon Gartenberg book too.
With all these, just skip over any portions that do not presently attract your attention.
Und ruh' in einem stillen Gebiet

Offline Jot N. Tittle

• Meine Zeit wird noch kommen.
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2012, 10:20:45 PM »
So, where shall I begin, other than LaGrange?  I am not wanting interpretations of his works, but details of his life.

Jonathan Carr's book is now back in print. It is not so bulky and has the virtue of debunking Alma's errors. Go for it.

"Mahler Remembered," edited by Norman Lebrecht, is also a good source of material by people who knew Mahler. It may be back  in print too.

Stuart Feder's "Gustav Mahler: A Life in Crisis" is worth reading too.

Best wishes,

' & .

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk