Author Topic: Anyone listen to Zinman M1 yet?  (Read 5411 times)

Offline barry guerrero

Anyone listen to Zinman M1 yet?
« on: April 02, 2007, 06:32:19 AM »
Amoeba had the Zinman M1 on RCA put out already. I think it's supposed to come out this Tuesday. I'm curious if anyone has listened to it yet. The scherzo is 7:40, while the slow movement reaches nearly 11 minutes. I prefer Norrington's approach to the two inner movements, where he does the scherzo slower, and the slow movement quicker (Jarvi did the same thing). Still, I'm willing to bet that Zinman's M1 is pretty darn good. The timings look pretty normal for the two outer movements. "Blumine" is placed last as an addendum.

By the way, I noticed that someone has already written an absolutely rave review about this new M1 at Amazon.com.

Barry
« Last Edit: April 02, 2007, 07:03:13 AM by barry guerrero »

Offline Seán

Re: Anyone listen to Zinman M1 yet?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2008, 12:49:58 PM »
I bought a copy of the Zinman M1 at the weekend.  I picked it up for £6 in HMV in Oxford Street.  I also got the M3 for £12.  These are my first Zinman discs.  I was surprised to see Blumine included and wondered if it was right for Zinman to do so as Mahler had not intended it to be considered as part of the M1.   Having listened to it I am glad that Zinman did record it as it is a beautiful piece of music this is the first time that I have been able to listen to it.  Anyway, I really like this recording of the M1.

Offline Dave H

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2008, 01:28:19 PM »
Barry:

It came out over a year ago--it was the first disc released in the cycle (they're doing them in order, evidently). I reviewed it at that time.

http://www.classicstoday.com/review.asp?ReviewNum=10913

In fact, I think we talked about it...

Dave H

Offline Dave H

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2008, 01:29:51 PM »
Whoops--I see I am replying to a very old message. How come it's now moved so high in the list when there hasn't been a recent reply? Maybe I should give back that second star....

Dave H

Offline sperlsco

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2008, 04:57:37 PM »
Sean's reply was a recent one, hence the topic was moved to the top of the list.  Are you sure this isn't an effort to increase your post count and get ANOTHER star?   :P  If so, that is a good plan!  In fact, I am using this same tactic. 
Scott

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2008, 05:59:37 PM »
Green stars?      .      .      . 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk