Author Topic: Ozawa's SKO Mahler 2nd & 9th to be reissued on SACD  (Read 13272 times)

Offline John Kim

Re: Ozawa's SKO Mahler 2nd & 9th to be reissued on SACD
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2010, 07:19:53 AM »
I've just finished listening to the M9th Blue Spec CD on a Sony DVP-SN90P player.

This disc sounds terrific on this particular machine.

I am pretty sure the SACD version will sound better still.

John,

Offline Alexandros

« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2010, 07:56:18 PM »
Just received this one (hybrid stereo SACD - 3 disc set) along with Klemperer's mighty M7.

Alex

Alex,

Please let us know if the SACD-version is worthwile, i.e. if it beats the CD of the M2 and the Blu-Spec CD of the M9. I'm considering getting this, but I'm hesitating...
Thanks!

Freddy

Freddy

I do not have the cd of the m2 or the Blu spec of the M9. However as soon as I  ll play it, I shall compare the CD to SACD layers and lwt you know. No time found yet for this 9th.

Best

Alex

Offline John Kim

« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2010, 08:13:19 PM »
Alex,

"I shall compare the CD to SACD layers .."

I don't think you'll find much difference if you do this.

My experience tells me so.

You need to compare the hybrid SACD (either the CD layer or SACD layer) to the earlier version(s).

If you send me the SACD, I will make the comparison ;D ;D :-*.

John,

Offline waderice

« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2010, 08:37:19 PM »
Alex,

You need to compare the hybrid SACD (either the CD layer or SACD layer) to the earlier version(s).

John,

I tried doing this with Bernstein's 1963 NYPO M2 on the Japanese SACD release, and also found hardly any difference between the SACD and CD layers.  Also, in comparing the CD layer of the Japanese SACD/CD to the CD-only produced Carnegie Hall release of the same M2 performance in that set of the complete symphonies, I heard no difference.

That led me to compare the SACD layer to the CD layer of the recently-purchased Fischer/Budapest recording, and I also couldn't tell much difference.

So maybe we all need to ask ourselves:  Is it worth bothering to listen to the CD layer of an SACD/CD hybrid disk to see if there's any difference?  My hypothesis is that you will be able to tell little, if any difference on the average stereo system.  On audiophile-grade equipment, yes.  It would be interesting to hear from others on this subject.

Wade
« Last Edit: September 10, 2010, 08:39:36 PM by waderice »

Offline Alexandros

« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2010, 04:46:49 PM »
Alex,

John,

I tried doing this with Bernstein's 1963 NYPO M2 on the Japanese SACD release, and also found hardly any difference between the SACD and CD layers.  Also, in comparing the CD layer of the Japanese SACD/CD to the CD-only produced Carnegie Hall release of the same M2 performance in that set of the complete symphonies, I heard no difference.

That led me to compare the SACD layer to the CD layer of the recently-purchased Fischer/Budapest recording, and I also couldn't tell much difference.

So maybe we all need to ask ourselves:  Is it worth bothering to listen to the CD layer of an SACD/CD hybrid disk to see if there's any difference?  My hypothesis is that you will be able to tell little, if any difference on the average stereo system.  On audiophile-grade equipment, yes.  It would be interesting to hear from others on this subject.

Wade

Did you try to compare the SACD layer to the CD-only Carnegie Hall release of this Bernstein M2. Just to see if we did well spending all this money for the japanese SACDs...

Thanks!

Alex

Offline waderice

« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2010, 05:45:34 PM »
Alex,

John,

Wade

Did you try to compare the SACD layer to the CD-only Carnegie Hall release of this Bernstein M2. Just to see if we did well spending all this money for the japanese SACDs...

Thanks!

Alex

Yes, I did.  I stated that I did that in my first sentence.  BTW, the Japanese SACD/CD release used the same DSD mastering as did the Carnegie Hall release.

Wade

Offline John Kim

« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2010, 12:17:06 AM »
So, Alex, how do the SACDs sound by your own (absolute) standard? ??? ::)

PL report to us :-*.

John,

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk