Author Topic: Jansons/RCO/RCO M3rd SACD to be released soon  (Read 6737 times)

Offline John Kim

Offline barry guerrero

Re: Jansons/RCO/RCO M3rd SACD to be released soon
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2011, 09:23:46 AM »
Let's hope that it's less dull than his recent M2. That was a total snooze-fest.

Offline sbugala

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2011, 01:35:39 PM »
If it's the same performance that is on youtube, I'll probably get it. (Although I really wish I could get THAT one on DVD.)

Offline John Kim

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2011, 09:13:36 PM »
I have these SACDs. To make the long story short, this is definitely the BEST Mahler recording released so far this year. Not only the playing of RCO is breathtaking and perfect, Jansons' reading has lots of things going for it - direct but sensitive, beautifully balanced and proportioned, and always alert.

The engineering is also drop dead gorgeous producing the best sound that this orchestra has ever received.

Above all, listening to this recording has confirmed that RCO is the FINEST Mahler orchestra in the world.

A truly great M3rd by all accounts, it deserves my highest recommendation.

John,
« Last Edit: September 26, 2011, 09:44:58 PM by John Kim »

Offline hrandall

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2011, 06:04:04 PM »
To make the long story short, this is definitely the BEST Mahler recording released so far this year.

Sounds like fighting words!  ;)

No, this is really is a fine recording. Have you compared it yet to the Honeck / Pittsburg M3 recently released?

Cheers,
Herb

Offline John Kim

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2011, 07:20:04 PM »
To make the long story short, this is definitely the BEST Mahler recording released so far this year.

Sounds like fighting words!  ;)

No, this is really is a fine recording. Have you compared it yet to the Honeck / Pittsburg M3 recently released?

Cheers,
Herb
Nope, the Honeck is too expensive to get.

I haven't heard Nott either but know some folks who have them both and favor the Jansons by a wide margin. I am going to get the Nott.

Offline John Kim

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2011, 09:11:52 PM »
Jansons is now my top favorite. In fact, I prefer this recording over almost all other ones including Chailly, Abbado, Horenstein, and even Levine.

I just can't imagine there will be better recordings than this one any time soon.

It's that good.

John

Offline John Kim

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2011, 06:55:26 AM »
I'd go as far as declaring this recording the BEST Mahler Third Symphony since Leonard Bernstein's 1963 recording on CBS. It's hard to believe Jansons gets just about everything right here - the phrasing, tempo, dynamics, balance, and proportion. Even the sound is incredible - extremely natural, well balanced, crystal clear, with plenty of cushion around the instruments. This one really hits the ball out of the park!

...which is precisely what Red Sox and Braves need to do tomorrow.

Offline gustavo

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2011, 06:35:59 PM »
One of the best last recordings of the Third with a great Jansons and an even greater Concertgebouworkest at its best...  An then a very natural sound: a must!  ;)

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2011, 08:06:27 PM »
The Jansons is very musical but the Honeck possesses far more visceral impact in the two outer movements, as well as at the climax of the development portion of the scherzo. It also has the more 'lively', "bim-bam" choral movement, although both are good in the fourth movement. I do like Fink more than DeYoung, but that's not a deal buster for me. Yes, Honeck is more expensive but it comes across as more powerful and more impressive in my book. Pittsburgh is somewhat like Chicago, but with stronger horns as well as better strings and woodwinds. Undoubtedly, the difference in acoustics plays a big part in that.

Another feature of the Honeck that I like: the snare drummer switches over to a deep 'field' drum throughout the development section of the first movement. The deeper drum works really well, in my opinion.

Online ChrisH

« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2011, 09:26:53 PM »
This is a very nice recording, I will agree with that. I do feel that the posthorn solo is the best that I've ever heard. It's utterly effortless, beautiful tone, and played with the utmost care; Fritz Damrow really sings. He makes it sound frighteningly easy, which it is not. My only complaint in this recording is that Jansons never lets the brass go. They're balanced and they blend so damn well, I just wish for a bit more balls really.

BBC Radio 3 compared Nott, Honeck and Tennstedt this past week. The announcer really liked the Nott.

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2011, 08:29:57 AM »
"The announcer really liked the Nott"

Yeah, the British critics are going ga-ga over the Nott. Every once in a while, it's time to rally around the old Union Jack.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk