General Category > Gustav Mahler and Related Discussions

Karajan M5 really is great.

(1/3) > >>

barry guerrero:
I dragged out the Karajan/BPO Mahler 5th today, after ignoring it for several years. I don't care what any one says about Karajan, it's truly one of the greatest recordings of the work. It was HvK's first Mahler recording, and just tons of rehearsal time went into its preparation. It was also one of the last recordings that HvK/BPO made in the warm acoustics of the Jesus Christus Kirche. All five movements are very good. Perhaps the funeral procession (first movement) could be a bit more lugubrious, but you sure can't fault the string playing.

Barry

Leo K:
I got this disk for Christmas, and I'm looking forward to listening soon.  Some months ago I heard the Adagietto from this disk on the car radio, and thought it was the most stunning version of this movement I have ever heard. It was hard to focus on driving!

John Kim:
I like the way Karajan builds the final pages in the finale of this symphony. It is the most grandiose, powerful ending to the symphony that I know of. But otherwise I thought the playing of BPO wasn't really all that great sounding scrappy here and there....Maybe I too should try it again.

John,

sperlsco:

--- Quote from: John Kim on December 30, 2006, 04:51:42 PM ---I like the way Karajan builds the final pages in the finale of this symphony. It is the most grandiose, powerful ending to the symphony that I know of.
John,

--- End quote ---

I've always thought that this was one of the best M5's for this exact reason.  For me, a big finale is the first requirement in my enjoyment of M5.  To me, an underwhelming finale pretty much ruins everything that comes before it in this symphony.  I mean let's face it, this is a darkness-to-light symphony, so why go through the darkness if we are not celebrating properly at the end.   

Leo K:
I just listened to this for the first time last night and today I heard it again.  I may be in the "honeymoon" period with this recording, but, wow...it is my favorite 5th right now.  For years, nothing could top the Bernstein 5th on DG...but everything about the Karajan here feels right to me.  Especially the tempos and dynamics.  Strangley, I was never a big fan of the adagietto until this recording.  Hear, it neither sounds like a dirge or a romantic interlude...it has a zen-like mystical quality.

Listening to the finale is a great way to bring in the new year.

I'll be able to post more details after absorbing it more.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version