Author Topic: Mahler 5 on BBC Prom  (Read 5276 times)

Offline Seán

Mahler 5 on BBC Prom
« on: August 22, 2008, 08:15:50 PM »
I listened to a wonderful live performance of Mahler's Fifth Symphony on R3 tonight with Markus Stenz conducting the Gürzenich Orchestra from Cologne.

You may access it here:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/proms/2008/

Offline barry guerrero

Re: Mahler 5 on BBC Prom
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2008, 09:02:05 PM »
No big surprise to me. Stenz's recording of M5 on ABC Classics from Melbourne is my personal favorite, and received a 10/10 review (I think) from David at Classicstoday.

Barry

Polarius T

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2008, 09:35:10 PM »
No surprise to me, either (am listening to it right now: quick link is http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00d0ssl/): Some of the stuff he has done with the Ensemble Modern is the best I have heard on the contemporary music front during the year, like their Lachenmann "Kontrakadenz" (http://www.ensemblemodern.com/) which gets "You've Got to Hear It to Believe It!" review (I know) from Polarius T right here (and I doubt he's wrong).

Another recent Lachenmann disc from Stenz and the same performers pairs "Ausklang" with its inspiration, Richard Strauss' "Alpensinfonie." This is on top of my shopping list: talking about interesting programming. Another example of nice thinking is this very BBC Proms Mahler concert, which recreates the M5 world premier concert event from 1904 (with a twist)... That should be a draw in itself. Thanks for forwarding this link. There are many other treasures there (follow our notices).

-PT
« Last Edit: August 22, 2008, 10:24:51 PM by Polarius T »

Offline Don

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2008, 01:27:33 AM »
Thanks for the heads up Sean! This was a great performance. One that illuminated a ton of details but did not slack or lose focus.

Definitely worth a hearing.
M10 Fanatic!

Offline Seán

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2008, 03:52:33 PM »
You are very welcome Don.  Now it would be lovely if the Beeb would just issue that performance on CD. 

Offline Don

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2008, 06:25:21 PM »
You are very welcome Don.  Now it would be lovely if the Beeb would just issue that performance on CD. 

Wouldn't you just loooooove to browse the BBC archives??? Or the old NBC archives....  ;)
M10 Fanatic!

Offline Altius

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2010, 03:43:17 AM »
hi,BBC Proms are eight week continuous concert presented at the Albert hall in South Kensington, London.

UK BBC Proms 2010 Concerts

Offline mahler09

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2010, 11:18:03 PM »
The link didn't work?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk