General Category > Gustav Mahler and Related Discussions

OT: anyone know what's coming next from Andris Nelsons (Bruckner and/or Shosty)?

<< < (3/6) > >>

barryguerrero:
Thanks for the update. I thought their release of S6/S7 was terrific. I already have several really good recordings of S15. I don't care much for S14, even though I know I should.

erikwilson7:
It's funny, I'm the same way. Some say S14 is his Das Lied, but I just can't get into it. I appreciate it for what it is though. I'm the same way with the famous Babi Yar; I know it's good but it just doesn't appeal to me.

barryguerrero:
I like the big tam-tam smashes in "Babi Yar", but I'm not crazy about the entire work either. It's weird that I'm like this, because Shostakovich was my first musical hero when I was young. I knew ALL the Shosty symphonies before I ever heard one note of Mahler.

erikwilson7:
That's interesting. Do you have any favorite Shosty symphonies? Mine are 4, 6, 8, and 15.

I got into Shostakovich BECAUSE of Mahler. While researching Mahler near the beginning of my exposure to his music, I stumbled upon DH's Mahler book and then his Shostakovich book, which then helped me really understand those works. I learn a work best by first understanding its structure, and Hurwitz does that really well in his listener guides.

barryguerrero:
I would add S7 and S10 to your list, in terms of my favorites. On a second tier would be 1,5,9, 11 and 13. On a third level would be 2,3,12 and 14.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version