General Category > Gustav Mahler and Related Discussions

M6/Gielen/Salzburg 2013

<< < (3/6) > >>

erikwilson7:
Agreed, and that’s the one thing I don’t like about Levi’s. Fast and no repeat comes out to a 17-minute first movement. Otherwise it’s a fantastic recording. It makes it unique, at least!

ChrisH:
I'll spin this from time to time, that's for sure. Generally, I too prefer swifter tempos. Who doesn't like what Kondrashin does with this work. To me, I think its cool that Gielen tried to do something so different than the norm. Jarvi recorded an insanely fast M7, and while it's surely not a top tier choice, it does give some very interesting perspective into the work. It's a night time run, with monsters chasing you instead of a nice moonlit stroll through garden.

The variety of interpretation is one of the things I enjoy most about collecting all of these recordings.

erikwilson7:
I couldn’t have said it better myself

John Kim:
 Vehemence

I couldn't agree more.

John

barryguerrero:
Then I'll be the A-hole and disagree with all of you. Anybody can go fast all the way through a performance, and anybody can go slooow all the way through a performance. ANYBODY. It doesn't matter if they have the concentration of Einstein. It takes zero intelligence to take a 90 minute symphony at a one, sort of basic level of tempo; slow or fast. I'm not knocking Gielen. I'm saying two things. A). I don't need it because slow performances don't appeal to me and I already have the Barbirolli, and B). If you're going to do the first movement really sloooow, then don't take the expo repeat! Personally, I think it's dumb to take the contrasting "Alma" passage at a slow tempo. That's just me. There - I couldn't have said it better myself.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version