General Category > Gustav Mahler and Related Discussions

Haitink/RCO Live M4 - excellent sleigh bells! (good recording & performance too)

<< < (2/3) > >>

barry guerrero:
If you have the Chailly, you're fine. Barbara Bonney is clearly the better singer anyway. Haitink's tempi are generally faster than Chailly's, and I like that. But the differences aren't that great - not enough for you to have to run out and buy this. The sleigh bells are just as good on the Chailly.

Barry

Leo K:
Well man oh man...this haitink M4 is incredible, and I can't stop listening to it (on my 4th listen)...and the production/sound is stunning.  I am impressed with everything here...the tempos, phrasing, the percussion (the percussion is so good this becomes one of my all time favorite Mahler recordings) and the RCO are so warm and free flowing.  The more I listen the more detail I notice that take my breath away.  I really prefer these faster M4's as I also have fallin' for the Boulez on DG.  The Macal, Boulez and now this Haitink M4 are all so stunning...the MTT is good too for variety and contrast.   Strange, but the soprano is never a deal breaker for me, but Christine Schaefer is so warm and subtle with her phrasing and sense of wonder...the tone of her voice is very moving.

--Todd

John Kim:
I can smell what this M4th is like... ;D

John,

Leo K:
Indeed!!!

The RCO play as if they are out in the beautiful open mountain air.  The flow and design of the performance balances grace and grounding, the "dream" feels anchored in present reality.  Such clear delineation of the score is always exciting, and here reaches great heights in living out this symphony, like a memory as real as yesterday.  Christine Schaefer's voice is ideal for me in the final movement...of all recent M4's this is my favorite soloist.  Bravo!

--Todd

John Kim:
OK, Enough :D. I will get it!!

To me an ideal M4th has not yet existed except for my recent exposure to MTT's marvelous version, so this might be the cup of tea. I liked Boulez's Cleveland recording but he seems to thinker a little too much in the first two movements. Or it may be the orchestra doing that.

John,

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version