Author Topic: DH gives 7/8 for Rattle's Brahms cycle (OOT)  (Read 4540 times)

Offline John Kim

DH gives 7/8 for Rattle's Brahms cycle (OOT)
« on: January 11, 2010, 05:51:21 PM »
JOHANNES BRAHMS
Symphonies Nos. 1-4
Berlin Philharmonic

Simon Rattle

EMI- 2 67254 2(CD)
Reference Recording - Jochum (DG); Abbado (DG); Levine (RCA); Klemperer (EMI)

rating 7/8

The playing of the Berlin Philharmonic in this new Brahms cycle is gorgeous, with sumptuous strings, and, thanks to one of the better EMI recordings from this source, plenty of necessary woodwind detail. Only slightly dry, wooden timpani let the show down a bit, but it's not a big deal. The performances are also mostly very good. The first movement of the First symphony could be more exciting, but the rest of the symphony goes splendidly--the slow movement glows, and the finale is rousingly grand. The Second, like the First, has no exposition repeat in the first movement, and we don't miss it. Simon Rattle leads an aptly flowing, lyrical performance lacking only that extra ounce of bounce in the finale to set the seal on what otherwise is a very fine reading.

As so often happens in Brahms cycles, the Third symphony misfires. The first movement is heavy and sluggish, and in the finale Rattle imposes his own "ideas" on the music, not all of them good (check out the ridiculous subito piano-crescendo after the big central climax). The Fourth, though, is mostly fine, save for a slightly languorous first movement that nevertheless rouses itself to deliver an impressive coda. The second movement doesn't drag, the scherzo has plenty of verve, and the orchestra's playing in the final passacaglia is truly stellar (you won't hear a better flute solo anywhere).

But let's not kid ourselves. This is still second-rate compared to Jochum (mono) with this same orchestra, Abbado (arguably his finest achievement in Berlin), or Karajan's last cycle. In other words, if your principal reason for acquiring this set is to hear the Berlin Philharmonic in music it ought to play as well or better than anyone, you have plenty of superb options. So then the question becomes whether or not Rattle offers enough insight to justify hearing this music primarily in order to discover his way with it. The answer is "no"; he's not bad, but he's not great either, and why settle for less?

--David Hurwitz

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
Re: DH gives 7/8 for Rattle's Brahms cycle (OOT)
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2010, 03:09:09 AM »
Well, I got this set because I enjoy hearing a new set of Brahms from Berlin, and I wasn't dissapointed at all...Dave's review is fair though.  Abbado's set remains my favorite of all, but this set has this gorgeous sound, and it's just so great to hear the BPO play Brahms, that I'll hear 'em with any ol' conductor. 

For the casual fan, Dave's top choices are probably good enough, but I'm not a casual Brahms fan  :-* 8)

--Todd

Offline John Kim

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2010, 04:59:19 PM »
I am glad I got the Abbado set at a discounted price. It's by far the best and most convincingly molded version of Brahms symphonies in recent years. Even the sound is glorious, easily the best DG ever got from the notorious Berlin Philharmonic Hall.

I can't imagine Rattle would have topped his predecessor but I am still curious to hear the recordings.

John,

Offline cilea

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2010, 06:32:51 AM »
I am glad I got the Abbado set at a discounted price. It's by far the best and most convincingly molded version of Brahms symphonies in recent years. [...]

In recent years? I thought that they were recorded some 20 years ago...  ;)

Offline sperlsco

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2010, 12:32:28 AM »
I am glad I got the Abbado set at a discounted price. It's by far the best and most convincingly molded version of Brahms symphonies in recent years. [...]

In recent years? I thought that they were recorded some 20 years ago...  ;)

It's from the early 90's IIRC.  There should be at least one Brahms' cycle per decade from the Berliners:  Jochum (1950's), Karajan (60, 70, and 80's), Abbado (90's), Rattle (2000's).   ;D
Scott

Offline cilea

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2010, 06:44:01 AM »

It's from the early 90's IIRC.  There should be at least one Brahms' cycle per decade from the Berliners:  Jochum (1950's), Karajan (60, 70, and 80's), Abbado (90's), Rattle (2000's).   ;D

You forgot the one with Harnoncourt (from the mid '90s).... ;)
« Last Edit: January 14, 2010, 07:28:38 AM by cilea »

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2010, 06:51:52 AM »
The Harnoncourt cycle was pretty lame, IMHO. I can't imagine that the Rattle one wouldn't be an improvement over Harnoncourt's.

Offline sperlsco

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2010, 09:56:30 PM »

It's from the early 90's IIRC.  There should be at least one Brahms' cycle per decade from the Berliners:  Jochum (1950's), Karajan (60, 70, and 80's), Abbado (90's), Rattle (2000's).   ;D

You forgot the one with Harnoncourt (from the mid '90s).... ;)

I have that one too!  Apparently it's not memorable!   ;D

I don't have the 50's Jochum or the 60's Karajan ones.  I have the EMI Jochum one with the LPO (?) and the other two Karajan ones. 
Scott

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk