Author Topic: Favorite M9?  (Read 29012 times)

Offline John Kim

Re: Favorite M9?
« Reply #30 on: September 30, 2010, 06:36:42 AM »
I listened to my LPs of Haitink/RCO/Philips M9th recording in a along time.

On the vinyls it sounds awesome!

None of the CD transfers so far can match the deep bass, the wide dynamic contrast, color and details of the original recording.

On the LPs this one definitely joins the list of my top M9ths.

John,

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
« Reply #31 on: September 30, 2010, 04:18:23 PM »
I listened to my LPs of Haitink/RCO/Philips M9th recording in a along time.

On the vinyls it sounds awesome!

None of the CD transfers so far can match the deep bass, the wide dynamic contrast, color and details of the original recording.

On the LPs this one definitely joins the list of my top M9ths.

John,

This is awesome to hear!  I acquired this LP set some time ago, but haven't listened to it yet.  I felt the Phillips CD really sounded bad, and was hoping the LPs would live up to the classic status of this release.

--Todd

Offline John Kim

« Reply #32 on: September 30, 2010, 07:07:56 PM »
Todd,

I sent an email to PentaTone urging them to remaster the recording in SACD format.

I have PentaTone Haitink M5th SACD and thought they had done a remarkable job of remastering.

John,

Offline akiralx

« Reply #33 on: September 30, 2010, 09:30:18 PM »

I really like the Gilbert and Karajan live, and will mention another which has a similar live intensity: Tokyo MSO/Bertini.

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
« Reply #34 on: September 30, 2010, 09:41:24 PM »

I really like the Gilbert and Karajan live, and will mention another which has a similar live intensity: Tokyo MSO/Bertini.

I LOVE the Tokyo MSO/Bertini M9...powerful all the way through, with perhaps the best second movement I have ever heard.

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
« Reply #35 on: September 30, 2010, 09:42:20 PM »
Todd,

I sent an email to PentaTone urging them to remaster the recording in SACD format.

I have PentaTone Haitink M5th SACD and thought they had done a remarkable job of remastering.

John,

I have to wholeheartedly agree regarding the PentaTone M5/Haitink release.  Incredible job.

Offline John Kim

« Reply #36 on: September 30, 2010, 10:21:44 PM »
I must tell you, I have LPs of Haitink, Levine, Tennstedt and Karajan (analogue) M9ths and they all sound MILES better than the CD releases. What had been diminished in these CDs are the dynamic contrast & range, details, highs & lows in the frequency range. When are they going to get them right?

John,

Offline Michael

• Adagio Appassionato, Addolorato A Niente
    • My Railroad Audio Recordings
« Reply #37 on: October 04, 2010, 12:31:12 AM »
Is the Haitink M9 under discussion the same one on the Mahler150.com website?
Michael

Offline John Kim

« Reply #38 on: October 04, 2010, 05:47:13 AM »
Is the Haitink M9 under discussion the same one on the Mahler150.com website?
Yes. Haitink's 1969 studio recording with RCO on Philips label.

John,

Offline John Kim

« Reply #39 on: October 16, 2010, 04:59:56 AM »
After Yanks tossed a terrible loss over to the Texans tonight, I did an A-B comparison of the Haitink M9th LP vs. CD (the one that is coupled with his DLVDE). After the 1st movt. was barely over I almost threw the CD out of a window. >:( >:(

There simply is no comparison - the CD sucks, the LP lives!

John,

P.S. Why don't they just play the LP on a good turntable and transfer it to CD, instead of remastering the tapes over and over again??

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #40 on: October 16, 2010, 05:43:14 AM »
Because it's the inherit distortion of vinyl that makes it sound good to you - the radical rolling off of the high end. However, you can easily obtain a turntable that has a built-in CD burner. That just might do the trick.

Offline John Kim

« Reply #41 on: October 16, 2010, 05:54:19 AM »
Because it's the inherit distortion of vinyl that makes it sound good to you - the radical rolling off of the high end. However, you can easily obtain a turntable that has a built-in CD burner. That just might do the trick.
I think it is the CD whose frequency spectrum rolls off at the high end, if I am not mistaken.

Yes, when I still had a turntable and an amp that takes the signal, I used to transfer from LPs to CDRs. Unfortunately, I switched to a new amp long ago. Since then, my turntable has been sitting in the dust.

John

Offline Dyolf

« Reply #42 on: November 09, 2010, 09:08:46 PM »
Hi
Just read through this thread, and starts to wonder what is wrong with me. None of my top ninth's is mentioned :(
Among my more than 35 versions, I always find the performances most satisfying to be:

Neumann/Leipzig/-69     Simply fantastic. No quibble, they just play from A to Z
Pesek/Liverpool/-91       Perfect recorded and played, and from Liverpool :o
Horenstein/LSO/-66       Scrappy playing in the middle mvts., but what a show. Live recording.

Steen

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
« Reply #43 on: November 09, 2010, 09:28:59 PM »
Hi
Just read through this thread, and starts to wonder what is wrong with me. None of my top ninth's is mentioned :(
Among my more than 35 versions, I always find the performances most satisfying to be:

Neumann/Leipzig/-69     Simply fantastic. No quibble, they just play from A to Z
Pesek/Liverpool/-91       Perfect recorded and played, and from Liverpool :o
Horenstein/LSO/-66       Scrappy playing in the middle mvts., but what a show. Live recording.

Steen

As for the Horenstein, the 1966 performance from the Music and Arts CD (a different performance from the BBC Legends disk) is still among my top choices. I mentioned it in another M9 thread, but failed to remember to mention it in this thread! I also feel the Horenstein/ASO/Music and Arts performance worth having...another mind blower.

--Todd

Offline Prospero

« Reply #44 on: November 12, 2010, 12:48:29 PM »
Walter stereo as well as Vienna 1938. Many others, too.

On CD versus LP, the Redbook CD format is hampered by jitter and mechanical limitations as well as the 44.1 K sampling rate. The best CD players, often expensive, minimize and sometimes overcome the medium's limitations. I have found the Japanese SHM version of the Bernstein DGG series to be astonishingly good in sound.

Many are advocating computer systems where the digital stream is freed from the mechanical disturbances of the silver disc and and its playback.

The Rega Apollo and I believe the more expensive Saturn process the digital stream through a RAM circuit that takes a few second to load, but delivers more than usually pleasing presentation of CD sound.

I have invested in a more pricey player (Cary 306 pro) that seems remarkably good to me.

I just sampled the much praised Haitink Concertgebouw M9 on CD (Deryk Cooke found it a major achievement), and the sound stage and balance are quite good. I haven't had a chance to compare CD with the LP version yet. Just a brief commentary on CD sound challenges.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk