Author Topic: Deryck Cooke's M10 Score  (Read 6212 times)

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
Deryck Cooke's M10 Score
« on: March 30, 2007, 09:32:31 PM »
Does anyone own Cooke's performing edition of the 10th? 

I'm thinking of buying it soon, and I want to know if Cooke includes the original unfinished short-score material along with his added orchestration.

I can't find any description of the actual score anywhere on the web, no reviews, nothing!

I assume it is difficult to find Carpenter's or Wheeler's scores.  Unpublished?

« Last Edit: March 30, 2007, 10:16:49 PM by Leo K »

Offline barry guerrero

Re: Deryck Cooke's M10 Score
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2007, 04:19:42 AM »
Yes, I have the M10 score put out by Faber Music from London, in collaboration with AMP of N.Y. City (Associated Music Publishers Inc.). I believe that this is the second Cooke edition, as it gives credit to Colin and David Matthews, who added more useless filegree. This score does, in fact, an outstanding job of comparing what Cooke and co. did, in comparison to what Mahler left. In many places, that means little or no differences. But in the last two movements, this becomes a far bigger issue.

I really don't know what else is avaialble on M10. I believe that there might be a score available of the excessively orchestrated - and not terribly idiomatic sounding, I might add - Barshai score. The beauty of Barshai's work, is that he's cleaned up a lot of - what are believed to be - wrong note mistakes that are still in the Cooke version. The problem is, Mahler's writing is so difficult to decipher, that it's often times near impossible to determine what notes he was truly wanting. This is especially true when he's writing many ledger lines above the staff. Mahler was also inconsistant about carrying over accidental markings (I'm getting a bit technical for those who don't read music). Needless to say, Mahler was greatly distracted during this period of his life. In addition to this, I believe that Barshai - or somebody else - may have published a version which shows only what Mahler wrote, but with Barshai's corrections. If that's available, that may be a great place to start. I'll try to Google this topic, and see if anything comes up.

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2007, 05:40:40 AM »
Leo,

Try this address:   http://mahlerarchives.net/archives/symp10.html
It provides a link for ordering the Faber score from SheetMusicPlus. It's listed at $125, which is close to what I paid for it many years ago.

Barry

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2007, 06:01:56 AM »
Leo,

Try this address:   http://mahlerarchives.net/archives/symp10.html
It provides a link for ordering the Faber score from SheetMusicPlus. It's listed at $125, which is close to what I paid for it many years ago.

Barry

Thanks for the info and for checking on the availability...I'd really like to get Barshai's corrected edition of Mahler's bare score.  Hopefully it can be tracked down.  I also saw the Cooke on Amazon for about 88 bucks...sounds like a good deal. 

Offline Freddy van Maurik

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2007, 11:33:06 AM »

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2007, 03:00:33 PM »
Cool Freddy. I don't see a price there, but I'll play with that site a bit more tonight.

Barry

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2007, 04:00:05 PM »
Thats a difficult site to navigate...every time I clicked on "product info" I got a blank page.  I did find the price though, at this link:

http://www.universaledition.com/truman/en_templates/paste.php3?template=werkinfo&spr=en&werk=7112&komp_uid=448#

If you click on Product Info here the link works, but the link to the shop basket doesn't work for me.  It appears the score costs 89.95 Euro.

It appears that I can't order the score at this site, because of the bad links. :(

« Last Edit: March 31, 2007, 08:24:50 PM by Leo K »

Offline Freddy van Maurik

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2007, 09:42:34 PM »
The site is rather malfunctional indeed...

You might try to acquire some info through UE's sales department: vertrieb@universaledition.com

I'm thinking of getting the score myself, and I haven't found any other source for it.

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2007, 02:22:23 AM »
89 Euros sounds fairly reasonable to me. Let me know what you guys decide to do. I'd jump, if I just didn't think that Barshai's orchestration was so excessive and, at times, unidiomatic sounding. It's another one where's tons of useless filegree added, but some of the truly major issues of the work aren't really addressed in any kind of serious or creative way.

Barry

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2007, 04:14:51 PM »
89 Euros sounds fairly reasonable to me. Let me know what you guys decide to do. I'd jump, if I just didn't think that Barshai's orchestration was so excessive and, at times, unidiomatic sounding. It's another one where's tons of useless filegree added, but some of the truly major issues of the work aren't really addressed in any kind of serious or creative way.

Barry

I have decided to get the Cooke score first, since I know his completion better than the Barshai.  I'd rather have Barshai's corrected version of Mahler's bare score than his actual completion, but I'm not sure if that is a part the publication or not. 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk