Author Topic: Interpretations and opinions  (Read 6641 times)

Ivor

Interpretations and opinions
« on: March 31, 2007, 11:33:20 AM »
   Interpretations are opinions.

I've been torn in the past between seeking authoritative interpretations/opinions and having my own.

Unfortunately (!),in the end, I've come to see that I have my own responses and opinions,tho' they aren't cast in stone. And i love comparing notes.

In Mahler's case,I've stuck with my early realising that he was my favourite composer. In his case,I didn't get thrown by the poo-pooing by others. Ah,I wasn't supposed to like it.

The point I want to make is that if I have views on any aspect of the Mahler universe,I have no wish for any reader that they HAVE TO agree with any of them.

Each of us has their own path,and will pick up what they need.

I write this because I've noticed a few posters saying things along the lines of,"Am I supposed to ....";"Should I .....";"I suppose I ought to ......".

The same goes for conducting interpretations,and for ideas/feelings about any aspect of Mahler's music (and anyone else's,come to think of it.)

I nearly put this post into an existing thread,then thought that it might get a bit lost there. And it is another topic,anyway.

Ivor

Offline barry guerrero

Re: Interpretations and opinions
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2007, 03:54:48 PM »
Ivor,

Perhaps you're directing your comments towards me; I don't know. Regardless, I want to chime in on this topic. Everyone has a right to their own likes and dislikes. When comparing and debating these kinds of issues, it's my thought that people should be prepared to express what it is that they do like about a particular recording, passage, phrasing, etc. But in the broader sense, I take a somewhat different stance on this topic.

I believe that the entire concept of interpretation is somewhat misunderstood, and badly abused by many folks. People speak of interpretations as though they were magic keys that unlock the classics for us. I think that just the opposite is true. Works that are "classics" remain classics, and endure a wide range of interpretations. But what is an interpretation? The concept of interpretation applies much more broadly to earlier composers. Why? Because they had put far less information into their scores as to how their works should be performed, and at what speeds, etc. As we move closer to our times, scores become much more specific on these issues. Mahler is a great example of this. If you've ever noticed, while Mahler performances encompass a very wide range of tempi - from very fast to very slow - the phrasing is nearly identical on most of them. That's because Mahler went as far as building the phrasing that he wanted, into the way he notated his rhythms. In that sense, his scores are almost "interperpretaton proof". Ironically, the one place that Mahler was rather open ended about things, was in regards to absolute tempo - what metronome marking - and in terms of tempo relationships: tempo modifications from one section to the next. But beyond that, Mahler scores are extremely specific about instrumentation, balances, dynamics, phrasing, etc.

Why am I mentioning all this? Because I believe that with Mahler - and many of the other "moderns" - you have to begin with "realizations" first. By that, I mean that performances and recordings need to observe all of the specifications that Mahler puts into his scores, before moving on to the more vague and subjective world of "interpretation". In other words, there has to be a sort of minimum standard before what somebody is conducting (or performing, from the other side of the podium) becomes real Mahler. After everything - or most everything - that the composer wrote gets "realized", it's only then that the "interpretation" can begin. In other words, a certain amount of interpretation IS inevitable, but only after you've observed what it is that the composer actually composed. When a conductor has gone against any of these specifications in the score, he/she had better be prepared to present something that enhances the work, and doesn't end up subtracting from it in the long run. In most cases of blantantly going against what the composer wrote, the composer was usual right in the first place. The recent James De Priest Mahler 5 is a perfect example of this.

In the finale to M5, while approaching the final brass chorale peroration, De Priest slows down many, many bars before Mahler specifies any kind of ritard in tempo. When you compare what he does to what Mahler actually wrote, boy, is De Priest ever in the wrong! Now, you can say, "yeah, but that's his interpretation". No doubt. But here's a classic example of doing one's own interpretation, in spite of what's written, but the result clearly detracts from the work. Now, you could say, "I don't care what Mahler wrote; I think what De Priest did is brilliant". That's fine - everybody has a right to their likes and dislikes. But you have to at least acknowledge that you're liking something that goes absolutely against the grain of what the composer wrote. At that point, the issue becomes a fact, and not an opinion. What De Priest is doing goes against what Mahler wrote. It's absolutey no different that changing some of the notes - that's how drastic it is.

Obviously, NOBODY likes it when somebody corrects them, or expresses an opinion in a rather aggressive way. No doubt, I'm guilty of just that from time to time. I freely admit to not having a lot of patience when it comes to the supposed merits of historical recordings. As we move closer to our times, I feel that they become less useful and relevant. This gets into a whole 'nother topic and debate, but it often ends up with somebody making the proclamation, "I don't care what the sound is like!". Or, "sound just isn't that important". I always find that a very odd comment because music IS sound. That's what it is: sound! That should be self-evident. Therefore, I think that there's often times a lot of wishful thinking among enthusiasts of historical recordings - a lot of "connecting the dots" in their minds.

I don't know, Ivor, if you're reacting to my comments on the Fried M2. If so, I think I've been very clear about it. All that I can hear in that particular recording is an outline of a performance. It's sort of like seeing only the shape of a building from a rather far distance. I can't hear "into" that particular recording. I can't hear what Mahler wrote, other than just tempi. To me - on my particular sound systems - this is a case where one has to connect the dots to a very, very great extent. Therfore, I question just how purposeful such a recording is. What I freely admit, is that I'm not trying to listen to it on state of the art equipment - far from it! I'm honest enough to admit that. If somebody wants to say to me, "I don't care how it sounds - I like it anyway"; that's fine, I can perfectly except that kind of explanation.

So, if I've tresspassed upon you, please understand that it's coming from these basic concepts of how I view the musical world. Quite truthfully, I really go against the grain of many, many record collectors. But when I don't know something, I'll gladly and freely admit it. For me, recordings of Mahler scores have to begin as "realizations" first, and "interpretations" second. All change orders to the plans and specifications have to be approved by me first   ;)

Simply put, my view of the classical music world is more composer driven, and less performer driven. The composer is the true hero for me.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2007, 05:07:37 AM by barry guerrero »

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2007, 09:45:57 PM »
"Heard melodies are sweet, but those unheard are sweeter..."  John Keats

Barry, your response to Ivor was engaging, and insightful, in describing the question of interpretation.  In particular, I like your description of "realization first, interpretation second".

Mahler, himself being an imaginative personality with lots of ideas, probably knew how easy it was to succumb to subjectivity during the preparation of a performance, and during the actual performance itself.  It appears to me, based on his detailed markings on all his scores, that the musical narrative was quite important.  He obsessively detailed how the music must get from A to Z.

Perhaps another way of understanding "realization first, interpretation second" can come from considering a quote from the British novelist E.M. Forster, in his describing the difference between "story" and "plot".

Basically, he writes the story is a "narrative of events...plot is also a narrative of events, the emphasis falling on causality."  Forster provides two examples of this:

Story:  "The King died, and then the Queen died."

Plot: "The King died, and then the queen died of grief."

So, when I read your "realization first, interpretation second" I thought of Forster's comparison.  In a sense, I interpet your phrase thus:

Realization=story

Interpretation=plot

In my view, a great interpretation has this 'causality' underneath the realization, or story. It adds a plot, or 'cause' that lends meaning to the the bare basics of the story.

The interpretation, plot or 'causality' is not always obvious and can be hidden.   An interpretation stimulates "hidden melodies" atop the "heard melodies" of a realization (hence my use of Keats's quote above).  The plot can consist of any cause; joy, grief, sadness, exaltation.

Of course, the realization can serve to keep the interpretation in check, like a story can do for a plot.  For example, Mahler's 8th is written to be a celebratory work and not tragic.  Therefore, Barry, I believe you are correct in finding the realization essential in every way.

In choosing performances of Mahler, I tend to really get into the more "plot" driven performances that threaten to overwhelm the "story" or realization of the Symphony.  I really like that kind of tension or drama.  I guess I am a "performer" driven collector.  I even read the biographies of conductors.  Yet, I am still watchful of Mahler behind it all, or I wouldn't be able to enjoy the kind of tension I usually gravitate to as a listener.

I happen to find this kind of "performer-driven" interpretation more in the historical accounts.  For example, Horenstein's Zen philosophy seems to cause a kind of eastern motivation in his realization's of Mahler, and it is interesting to discover how this interpetation effects the realization of the symphony.  Klemp's depression and 'immoralist' attitute at times completely overwhelms the music of his former colleague.  Great author's don't necessisarily give away the motivations or causes of the stories they write, and that goes with conductor's as well.  There is no way out of subjectivity in this case.  Where there is a mystery, there is immediate interest.  While listening there is no doubt I add "dots" that were never meant to be there, but in a way, thats the beauty of perception.  In a sense, those "hidden melodies" are what I bring to the score, based on what I imagine I'm hearing in the sound and interpetation. 

Speaking of sound, I agree it is part of the experience and of course it can influence how we recieve the realization.  Sound is very much like an interpetation then.  Like an interpetation, sound can add meaning or color, but it can also add or take away from the realization of a score.  This is another reason I love historical recordings.  I hear another layer, such as history, over the realization/interpetation that I find endlessly appealing.  I also love those old Blues 78's from the 20' and 30's for this very reason.

By the way, I don't believe Mahler's close colleagues adhered to Mahler's own concepts that much.  Klemp, Walter and the gang all reach in different directions in their Mahler performances.  Each were influenced by their own perceptions of what Mahler was about, or wanted in his symphonies.

I have a deep appreciation for all kinds of performances, and I am still developing criteria of what I find ideal for alot of Mahler's symphonies. At times, I feel the  'less performer is more' interpetations are the greatest performances of all and they are the hardest to achieve.  Those interpetations are like the writing of James Joyce in his Ulysses.  In this book Joyce just lays out the facts of the story and thats it.  His writing is all "protein and no fat" as Joseph Campbell says.  The author here is completely out of the way.  That kind of realization/interpetation is not empty, but tends towards the 'spiritual' (if I may use that word). 

A paradox appears to come into play here, because whether a performance is full of personality-baggage or empty as a Chinese vase...we, as listeners, still add our own "hidden melodies" to the final product.  Somehow we all arrive at the same room from different doors! 

Mahler collecting is one of the greatest joys of life and I always enjoy reading differing views from collectors.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2007, 01:24:21 AM by Leo K »

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2007, 02:50:26 AM »
Leo,

All this is very well put. I want to make it clear that I'm not trying to stamp out interpretations. There's no point in wanting to do that. It's just that I find the term itself to be badly abused. In many cases, folks ascribe (is that a word?) something that they're hearing to "interpretation"; when, in fact, what they're hearing has nothing to do with a deliberate decision on the part of the conductor, and is merely a biproduct of some other incident or compromise in logistics, etc. This sort of confusion happens all the time. Interpretation is a term that's loosely thrown around by those whose livelyhoods depend on multiple sales of recordings on the same standard literature, over and over. In other words, critics, for the most part. I see this at my work everyday. A little knowledge is a dangerous thing. So, I end up with humorless people who think that their lives are going to end, if they don't get the right interpretation that's going to unlock the secrets to some already well established classic. Nothing could be farther from the truth, in the most broadest sense. I try to encourage people to listen for themselves, but to also not get caught up in all kinds of weird sidetracks that really have more to do the habits of record collectors (and critics), than it does with learning about what makes a great piece of music tick. I don't know if any of this makes sense to you. But I think that it would, if you were in my shoes and had to deal with these people on a daily basis. Anyway, I think I've beaten my point to death.

In summary, when it comes to complicated orchestral music, it becomes all too easy for folks to confuse what is factual, and what is a subjective opinion. There has to be some kind of standard by which comparisons can be made, and that always begins with what the composer actually wrote. That may be too sober for some. But to ignore the composer as the starting point, means that everything can just be chaos and improvisation instead of interpretation. At that point, all that's left for us to talk about are our own emotions and reactions. That's almost useless in trying to communicate with others not just about what's good in music, but also what makes it tick.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2007, 03:22:34 AM by barry guerrero »

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2007, 03:36:53 AM »
Barry, I completely understand your points, especially this:

I try to encourage people to listen for themselves, but to also not get caught up in all kinds of weird sidetracks that really have more to do the habits of record collectors (and critics), than it does with learning about what makes a great piece of music tick. I don't know if any of this makes sense to you. But I think that it would, if you were in my shoes and had to deal with these people on a daily basis.

When I first started to collect I really didn't trust my own opinions and etc...but after awhile, I found the freedom of listening for myself.  I then discovered more recordings I now like that I wouldn't have considered before because some reviewer "didn't like it" and etc. 

And I understand from all the various reviews you have written Barry that interpretation is important too.  There is a great pleasure to read a review that covers all aspects of a performance...objective and subjective...which I find in abundance in yours.  Too often reviews focus on the subjective, which I find myself getting carried away with from time to time!!! 

Let me also say I enjoy everyone here on the Mahler board (the old and new board).  I wouldn't have tried Ozawa, Maazel, and others if it weren't for the fine folks here.   :)

« Last Edit: April 01, 2007, 04:00:55 AM by Leo K »

Wunderhorn

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2007, 07:19:26 AM »
Who are any of us kidding? The conductor's rendering is only so important when compaired to the creator of the music. And as Mahler was a conductor, my guess is that he would be the best at his own music; But not one of you Sadducees probably believe in the life to come.  :'(

How many rendering are there on the market for contemporary composers, better yet why aren't there? If Classical music was what it was 100 years ago, I assure you there would be more of these supposed renderings: This day and age the composer has passed down his crown to the conductor of "Music People Want To Hear!" ;D
« Last Edit: April 01, 2007, 07:29:55 AM by Wunderhorn »

Ivor

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2007, 09:24:25 PM »
   I had several people in mind,Barry.

It is quite common for people to say the kinds of things I mentioned like,"How am I supposed to respond.....","Which is the version to buy?" - generally being unwilling to trust their own responses. That is understandable when one is starting out. I'm saying to those further along the line,trust your sense,your responses more. That was the idea I most wanted to get across. But then I'm a lot of a rebel.

no-one can tell me how I-I-I-I-I-I-I hear,and how I-I )etc) feel about what I've heard. Just as I'm the only one who knows I feel about another person. Thgat is in not to rule out that our responses to a work or composer can change. They can.

The interpretation question is interesting. There doesn't seem to me to be a sharp distinction between 'playing the notes' and 'interpreting'. Clearly most people here 'believe' in interpretation,hence all the discussions about different performances.

I've sometimes wondered how different performers get rather different results from the same nores. And how to decide when a variation from the score is or is not acceptable (AND TO WHOM? - one of my points)

I think of Stokowski and Silvestri,neither of whom have been thrown out of the club !! Haitinck has been well-regarded,e.g.Cooke on his 9th,for just presenting the work without intervention,yet some say the results lack in one way or another.

And there are performances which vary some way from the score yet are still acceptable performances without doing a Stokowski. I have no idea where the dividing -line is, and one of my points is that there are no golden rules. In the end,each of us has decides for ourselves in the light of the evidence and others' opinions.

Mahler did say that the conductor should let the feeling of the moment have its head,and many performers have objected to recording because they thought that each time they performed the same work,it would be new,different. (The notes won't have changed.)

One place where I'm with Barry (it's not the only one). 1 of M6 is marked allegro energetico ma non troppo. Bernstein,who I admire,is troppo. Amnother which is(?) debatable. Boulez and Adler delay the last pizzicato chord of M6,which  FEELS right to me,whatever ( !!) the score says.

i think what happens is,if the listener likes the result,it's kosher;if they don't,it's not what the composer asked for.

I dunno.

Ivor

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2007, 05:33:33 AM »
Just sell off everything you've got and start over. This time, just listen to me - nobody else. I'll steer you straight.   ;)
« Last Edit: April 05, 2007, 05:39:20 AM by barry guerrero »

Ivor

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2007, 04:52:40 PM »
     Oh,           thhhhhhhhhank you,thhhhhank you. The path ahead is now so clear.

One more remembrance.

When the Leibowitz set of Ludwig's symphonies appeared,the Stereo Record Review didn't reckon it.

Charles Mackerras was  on Desert Island Discs once (Uk prog.) and chose the Leibowitz as one of the two best (?????!!!!?) sets he knew.

So listen,discuss and learn to trust what your senses are telling you,especially if you know you can change own your opinion.

And enjoy !!    :)

Ivor

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2007, 04:54:15 PM »
  That  ??? was unintentional.

I.

Ivor

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2007, 10:41:04 AM »
naturally,I had hoped there might be more discussion of this subject.

:)

Ivor

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk