Author Topic: Gardiner abandons Bach project for Mahler  (Read 11820 times)

Offline barry guerrero

Gardiner abandons Bach project for Mahler
« on: April 01, 2007, 07:23:34 AM »
Sir John Elliott Gardiner has switched labels and projects once again. He's now abandoning his "Bach pilgrimage" project - all of the J. S. Bach cantatas - and has  announced a full Mahler symphony cycle in collaboration with the University of Florida marching band. The new project is being dubbed, "Mahler Wanderer". While the Bach Pilgrimage project meant that each series of Bach cantatas - an album's worth - were recorded at different churches in different cities throughout Europe, the Mahler Wanderer project will be recorded while actually on the move from one city to the next in the deep south of North America, avoiding hurricanes and tornadoes where possible.  In an interview broadcasted on BBC 1 earlier this week, Sir John was quoted as asking, "if Roger can do it, why can't I?". When asked why he was abandoning the Bach Pilgrimage project at this point, Gardiner simply stated, "Bach sucks; Mahler rules. What more can I tell you?". When asked about the newly discovered transcriptions for marching band (imagine the percussion!), Gardiner was informative: "these are the original, original, original, ORIGINAL versions". Meanwhile, the Monteverdi Choir has already begun practicing singing while marching. Both Anna Larsson and Michelle De Young have agreed to march and sing at the same time. A full cast for the Mahler 8th has yet to be announced. Not surprisingly, the first work to be recorded on the move is the song cycle, "Lieder Eines Farhrenden Gesellen" - the Songs Of A Wayfarhrer. In order to conserve air and not exhaust themselves, Ms. Larsson and Ms. De Young will trade stanzas on each song. The Univesity of Florida marching band will release a full fortissimo at the start of, "Ich hab ein gluhend Messer". Maestro Gardiner admits that balances could be tricky on the last song, which is quiet throughout. "We'll be sure not to record the final song where there are tall buildings. In fact, we'll record all quiet passages in open fields only". It's rumored that Gardiner will begin studying baton twirling next week.  DG is said to be working on a similar project with the Venezuela National Youth Orchestra, conducted by the young and dynamic Gustavo Dudamel. It's rumored that they plan to record Mahler while marching through tropical jungles. Oh, and yes, all performances will be recorded sans vibrato.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2007, 05:59:17 AM by barry guerrero »

Offline david johnson

Re: Gardiner abandons Bach project for Mahler
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2007, 11:29:52 AM »
chuckle...i'll have some of what you're drinking, please.
i believe texas a & m should provide it's band for this, rather than florida.

dj

Ivor

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2007, 12:20:59 PM »
  Excellent,barry. You had me in the grip if happy surprise until the line,"Bach sucks,Mahler rules...."

And it would be a wowwwwwww of a hoot it those projects were put into practice.

Keep up the good work.

Ivor

pincopallino

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2007, 02:20:21 PM »
Well, I attended a Gardiner concert in Prague, in May 2004. He did Kindertotenlieder, and was quite enjoyable indeed.

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2007, 04:18:45 PM »
I was thinking yesterday...what if Norrington takes up Ives?  I wonder how that would sound?  ;)

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2007, 05:41:12 AM »
Actually, Gardiner made a great recording of the Ruckert songs with von Otter, I think.

Offline Amphissa

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2007, 11:19:47 PM »

I'm really looking forward to hearing historically informed Mahler played by a marching band. And I think I'll be able to get to most of these performances in person from my new southern home base, where the brilliance of James Brown's solid gold coffin blinds the unprepared multitudes throughout the southern states as though it were the ark of the covenant itself. Joining an audience of the southern genteel, adorned in their summer white finery, but all sporting sunglasses as prophylaxis, will be a sight to behold, contributing to the grandeur of each performance.
"Life without music is a mistake." Nietzsche

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2007, 04:52:46 AM »
Ah man, I'm still busting a gut over the idea of James Brown's solid gold coffin   ;D

Offline Amphissa

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2007, 10:30:42 PM »
Ah man, I'm still busting a gut over the idea of James Brown's solid gold coffin   ;D

In case anyone thinks I am joking -- that is about the only thing in my response that is actually true.

http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20005542,00.html

But of course, after the Harlem tribute, he was returned to his home in North Augusta, where the family are still fighting over precisely where he will be buried. Personally, I think they should just leave the coffin in the living room and turn his home into a Graceland-like attraction, with a big sign in gold proclaiming "I Feel Good!" and that song playing over the speakers. And every year, a big R&B festival on the grounds.
"Life without music is a mistake." Nietzsche

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk