Author Topic: Dudamel / SBSOoV M2 at the Proms  (Read 6193 times)

Offline techniquest

Dudamel / SBSOoV M2 at the Proms
« on: August 06, 2011, 09:59:26 PM »
I have just watched (on BBC2 - UK) what for me was probably as near perfect a performance of Mahler 2 as I have ever heard. It was just superb.
Everything about it went together with precision, emotion and perfection in the playing, the soloists and the choir. Mezzo Anna Larsson was in tears at the end, while soprano Miah persson was actually dancing in the ailses back-stage before returning for another bow at the applause.
BG might be interested to know that the orchestra boasted 3 tam-tams - what looked like a normal sized one, a large one and a VAST one - as big as I've ever seen in any orchestra. I know he won't be impressed that they were made by Paiste though. Conductor Gustav Dudamel had all 3 hit in unison at the end of the final choir note and entrance of the bells (ordinary tubular bells) in the last movement, while for the very final bars the normal one acted as the small, while the other two were hit for the large. There were also 3 stand cymbals used.
This broadcast will probably be on BBCi player for the next few days, so I do urge you to take a look.
This is what music is all about!

Offline stillivor

Re: Dudamel / SBSOoV M2 at the Proms
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2011, 10:55:47 PM »
I did as well.

Dudamel was excellently free with his rubato from time to time. The orchestra were awesomely attentive. I can't remember so many members of the orchestra so attentive to their conductor.
It was a most intense performance, brilliantly prepared and got a massive response from the Prommers.
The finale was somewhat episodic and superbly executed.

The Simon Bolivar orchestra is a world treassure and is a clear demonstration that people can indeed change, even after a pretty awful start. And wonderful that music is the medium of change.

A pity that the telecast didn't allow more of the audience acclaim as I gather Sr.Abreu, who founded El Sistema, was brought onstage.

Nevertheless, wonderful.

Ivor

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2011, 01:19:15 AM »
I'm glad you folks had fun. This  bodes well for Dudamel's "Mahler Project" in L.A. coming January & Feb.

Offline Roffe

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2011, 05:07:38 AM »
I haven't had time to listen to it yet, but here it is:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b012x17l/BBC_Proms_2011_Prom_29_Mahler/

M2 starts at 8:25 in the program.

After listening: It's a somewhat slow performance, approximate timings, 24:20 - 11:40 - 10:15 - 5:40 - 38:05.
The program is available online until Friday 12, 9:17 (GMT I assume). It seems that you can download the performance provided you've got a British IP-address (I was denied, and got that error message).

Enjoy

Roffe
« Last Edit: August 07, 2011, 07:30:59 AM by Roffe »

Offline Fafner

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2011, 05:33:41 PM »
I experienced the very same Symphony with the very same orchestra and conductor at the Lucerne Festival 2008 and was everything but blown away (some critics seemed to agree with me on that occasion). While there were some spectacular moments, the whole lacked coherence and heard in the hall one could perceive that this orchestra surely doesn't lack in the involvement department (many professional orchestra should learn from it) but lacks quite a bit technically. I admire Abreu's system and the miracle it could achieve, but let's not completely loose the perspective, this band can't compete with the great orchestras technically. Imho Dudamel is way overrated compared to other relatively young, lesser "hyped" conductor (think about Jurowsky, or Nelsons, or...?). I experienced several concerts with him live, but the word that always came to my mind on such occasions has been "superficial". There is time for him to improve, but I feel things are getting a bit too much rushed with him.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2011, 05:36:41 PM by Fafner »

Offline BeethovensQuill

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2011, 07:32:34 PM »
I agree with Techniquest and Stillivor, i was completely transfixed by the intense playing, the slow tempi never occured to me whilst watching i was just enjoying every note.  Having all the extra string players certainly gave it that weighty texture.  I'll definitely return to this performance at some point even though it might not be my absolute ideal interpretation.

Offline James Meckley

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2011, 09:17:11 PM »
This review by Jim Pritchard is typical of the formal reviews of Dudamel's Proms M2 I've been able to read so far, and also—sad to say—it pretty well summarizes my own reaction to the performance.

http://www.seenandheard-international.com/2011/08/07/prom-29-more-style-than-substance-in-dudamels-mahler/

Having heard Señor Dudamel do a really effective M5 with the NYPO a couple of years ago, I was inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt, but for me this M2 simply sank under its own weight.

As Herb Randall recently wrote in another context, it's fascinating how the sophisticated listeners and Mahler enthusiasts here (and elsewhere) can differ so widely in their assessments of a particular performance.

James
"We cannot see how any of his music can long survive him."
Henry Krehbiel, New York Tribune obituary of Gustav Mahler

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk