Author Topic: revisiting: Bernstein/BPO M9 from '79  (Read 10049 times)

Offline barry guerrero

revisiting: Bernstein/BPO M9 from '79
« on: May 03, 2007, 02:51:29 PM »
After having dumped this a few years ago, I picked up another copy of the Lennie's Berlin M9 - completely sealed - for very little money. It's such a shame that somebody falls out of their chair in the fourth movement, just before the main climax of the entire movement, and that this poorly timed happening keeps the trombones from playing at the climax just measures later. The audience is also a tad noisy in the closing pages - all of the really soft stuff. All of this too bad, because it's one h__l of a performance. I also like the fact that DG includes a billion different tracks on this. I wish more CD's would have additional tracks. Even the sound is quite good on this - less artificially strange sounding than the Abbado (which I like for its pacing, as mentioned). And now for a bit of biography:  this recording is important to me for the date that it was recorded on. I won't reveal why, as I want to keep that much to myself.

So, M9 officianados, now that I have your attention, I've got a question for you:  Is there an M9 recording where they've left on a full minute (heck, I'll even take twenty seconds) of pure silence at the end of the symphony?  I would like that. As some of you may recall, the Blomstedt M2 leaves on several minutes of silence at the end of the first movement.

Offline John Kim

Re: revisiting: Bernstein/BPO M9 from '79
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2007, 03:55:59 PM »
So, M9 officianados, now that I have your attention, I've got a question for you:  Is there an M9 recording where they've left on a full minute (heck, I'll even take twenty seconds) of pure silence at the end of the symphony?  I would like that. As some of you may recall, the Blomstedt M2 leaves on several minutes of silence at the end of the first movement.

Yes, Abbado/BPO 1995 Mahlerfest recording. It actually include the long pause after the ending of IV, followed by even longer ovation from the audience.

John,

Offline Ben

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2007, 04:56:14 PM »

I'll have to re-check at some point, but doesn't the Zander M9 have quite a bit of silence at the end of IV?

Ben

Offline je-b

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2007, 06:31:37 PM »

Yes, Abbado/BPO 1995 Mahlerfest recording. It actually include the long pause after the ending of IV, followed by even longer ovation from the audience.

John,

Actually, I think I remember the audience to start ovations rather soon after the final chords on this recording. If I'm not totally mistaken, I think the Abbado / BPO M9 from Berlin has a much longer pause after the fourth movement.
"Ich leb' allein in meinem Himmel,
 In meinem Lieben, in meinem Lied!"

Offline Ben

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2007, 12:06:13 AM »
Barry's revisiting of this recording got me in the mood for it as well.  I listened to it again last night, and I must agree, it is one hell of a performance.  I've never heard the BPO sound like this before (and I mean that as a compliment).  From beginning to end, it is white-hot intense.  True, there are imperfections, most noticeably in the Rondo-Burlesque, but nothing to really detract.  Except the missing trombones in the climax of the Adagio.  Is that what happened Barry, someone fell out of their chair?  It's not a huge deal to me as M9 is not something I can listen to all the time, albeit is probably my second favorite Mahler symphony.

As I was listening, I was really taking note of Mahler's changing style.  His Ninth is so different than anything that had come before, it was really a forward-looking symphony in terms of harmony and melody, I think.

A great recording by all means.

Ben

Offline sbugala

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2007, 03:30:19 AM »
I always thought it was one of those insane Lenny foot stomps at the climax.  If I'm correct, Lenny did two concerts of it with them, with one of them making it to a radio broadcast.  It's always made me wonder if the other night exists in some format.  Maybe that one has the trombones making their entrance.

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2007, 04:04:02 AM »
No, if you listen closely on headphones, something more than one of Lennie's notorious footstomps happens. Maybe Bernstein fell off of the podium. Anyway, you can hear a bunch of people talking immediately afterwards, and it sounds as though something dramatic happened: somebody fell out of a chair, or some one had a suddenly blackout - that sort of thing. Check it out on headphones.

Offline John Kim

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2007, 05:26:09 AM »
Actually, I think I remember the audience to start ovations rather soon after the final chords on this recording. If I'm not totally mistaken, I think the Abbado / BPO M9 from Berlin has a much longer pause after the fourth movement.

This is not correct. The 1995 one has a much longer pause than the DG recording.

John,

Wunderhorn

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2007, 02:43:55 PM »
I read what you said of the Bernstein '79 M9 Barry, and I am upset. I was so looking forward to buying this recording; Now to find out it has such mistakes makes me less willing to fork over the doe. I'm wondering quite possibly, that over the years the only vast change in the renderings of Mahler are sound quality, not to say that people didn't learn from each other, but there are so many recordings now that evolution outside of sound quality is silly. Perhaps a day will come in the future when the listeners won't mind the sound engineers giving a face lift to past recordings. Like trombones in the finale, and no sleepy head falling from his chair, and so on and so forth.  :D

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2007, 04:01:45 PM »
Wunderhorn, you've simply got to hear this performance...it really is stunning.  Maybe buy it used like I did...but it is worth the full price. I've actually bought this recording twice over the years.  Besides, you know what a M9 with no mistakes sounds like already, so take a chance "on the wild side".   :)
« Last Edit: May 08, 2007, 04:04:29 PM by Leo K »

Wunderhorn

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2007, 05:41:54 PM »
Thanks Leo; I still end up getting it!  8)

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2007, 03:13:40 AM »
I've been reinspired to revisit Bernstein's BPO and Concertgebouw  M9's, and tonight I'm going to hear the Tanglewood one, which I've never heard before.  It really is awesome to hear Bernstein's M9 again.  The BPO and Concertgebouw  are the two M9's I've spent the most time with, but it had been a long time since I've heard them.  They remind me why I got so obsessed with Mahler in the first place. 

Beside the unfortunate missing trombone passage, the BPO Adagio is among the most searing orchestral passages I've ever experienced. 
« Last Edit: May 10, 2007, 03:34:02 AM by Leo K »

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2007, 03:27:41 AM »
Oh...I forgot to mention how much more I appreciate the Concertgebouw  9th now I've spent some time away from it.  I agree with critics who have said it sounds somewhat "weary" and autumnal (how I love that word)...yet the struggle, or need, for life-energy (within a bright landscape of dieing color) is what makes this performance truthful and convincing.  Please excuse my tendency for subjective description!

Anyone else have any thoughts about the Concertgebouw  M9?
« Last Edit: May 10, 2007, 03:34:32 AM by Leo K »

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2007, 04:13:31 AM »
I think the last two movements are great. But for me, the first two movements lack tension compared to the best ones. It's as though Lennie were saving himself for those last two movements.

Barry

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2007, 09:07:40 PM »
I think the last two movements are great. But for me, the first two movements lack tension compared to the best ones. It's as though Lennie were saving himself for those last two movements.

Barry

I agree regarding the lack of tension, and the last two movements regain a kind of powerful energy till the "death" at the end.  Very moving.

The Tanglewood performance on the other hand (I just heard it for the first time)...I have no words.  Speechless. 
« Last Edit: May 10, 2007, 09:11:40 PM by Leo K »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk