Author Topic: Not really off -topic - interesting book  (Read 5860 times)

Offline Penny

Not really off -topic - interesting book
« on: May 12, 2013, 08:55:50 PM »
I've recently been reading an interesting book, published at the end of last year by a psychologist, Dr John A Snyder.  It's called "Overcoming Depression Without Drugs", but has the intriguing subtitle, "Mahler's Polka with Introductory Funeral March".  To summarise very briefly, somehow the author has managed, successfully in my view, to combine two apparently unrelated topics;  his views on depression and antidepressant use, plus his insights on how Mahler managed to cope with all the tragic events in his life in an era when such medication was not, of course, available.   I wondered whether anyone else on this forum had read this book, and if so what they thought.  (I'm not a psychologist by the way.)

Offline BeethovensQuill

Re: Not really off -topic - interesting book
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2013, 05:38:55 PM »
I havent read it yet but its waiting to be read, along with this book http://www.amazon.co.uk/Upheavals-Thought-The-Intelligence-Emotions/dp/0521531829/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pd_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=1V66ENP78J0RX&coliid=IF16MCJXKVUBQ  which has a section on Mahler's 2nd symphony.

It was interesting reading your thoughts so it will spur me on to read it.

Offline Penny

Re: Not really off -topic - interesting book
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2013, 08:09:14 AM »
Thank you for your reply.  The book you mention is quoted by Dr Snyder in his book - perhaps I should read that too!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk