Author Topic: Schwarz/Seattle Symphony Orch. Mahler Third concert in June  (Read 3757 times)

Offline John Kim

That's right! They will perform M3rd symphony four times during 6/21-24. Along with Barry I was there at the symphony hall when they played the piece in a couple  years ago. It was an excellent performance with a truly grandiose finale. But Barry didn't like the Scherzo movt. because he thought some percussions were played incorrectly.

Anyone one coming to Seattle for the concert?

John,

Offline barry guerrero

Re: Schwarz/Seattle Symphony Orch. Mahler Third concert in June
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2007, 06:01:50 AM »
John,

The M3 that I attended was very good except for one thing. What I didn't care for - which nobody who knows the part would care for - is that they played the entire tambourine part on a military side drum; what most drummers would call a tom-tom. This not only effects the end of the scherzo - where I thought it truly sounded bad - but almost the entire development section of the first movement. There are also a few tambourine rolls in the second movement as well. For the life of me, I can not imagine how any percussionist could assume that Mahler meant a drum instead of a tambourine. Maybe it was Mr. Schwartz's idea. But beyond that, it was a very good M3 indeed. Hopefully, they won't repeat doing that.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk