Author Topic: Symphony Boxset recommendations?  (Read 5429 times)

Wunderhorn

Symphony Boxset recommendations?
« on: May 10, 2007, 09:30:45 PM »
I have been listening to only Mahler for about 6 months now, and have become far more knowledgable of his music. It was a type of study process for me. I'm going to have money coming to me soon, and need some recommendations on Boxsets, not exclusively Mahler's. I've own several for many symphonists. I'm curious of the Gielen Mahler set because I read a 10/10 review, which said it was the best on the market. I'm also looking for some Sibelius, Bruckner, and Schubert sets, but any symphonists set will do, if you have recommendations?

Offline Roland Flessner

Re: Symphony Boxset recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2007, 03:59:43 AM »
Unless some of the earlier recordings were redone for the box set, Gielen's   Mahler was recorded over a large time span. The orchestra is serviceable but not at the top level, and the engineering varies a bit. Generally I like Gielen's conducting. I haven't heard all of these, but I do like #6 and #2 is outstanding.

I'd avoid Solti. The CSO is excellent but he often conducts with little comprehension of Mahler.

I'm a big Kubelik fan. I often disagree with his interpretations, but his passion for the music is persuasive. The sound shows its age, but despite being dry the counterpoint is very clear. Antiphonally divided violins are always welcome in Mahler, and Kubelik uses this seating pattern throughout the set.

As for other composers, take a look at the Brilliant Classics label. They have a number of very inexpensive sets, some of which are as good as anything in the catalog. Check out some web reviews (such as Arkiv Music) for titles that interest you.

Good luck!

Offline sperlsco

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2007, 03:46:16 PM »
There is a recent thread on favorite Mahler cycles/sets.  You may want to look there for some opinions.  As for Sibelius, I own the cycles by Bernstein/NYPO, Segerstam/Helsinki, Davis/Boston, Ashkenazy, Sanderling, and I'm sure a couple of others (my memory is not what it used to be).  I would highly recommend the Lennie and Segerstam cycles.  Please note that I am not yet a fan of S3, S4, or S5.  I haven't made much effort on them yet, but tomorrow is another day. 

Besides the Brillliant boxes listed in the last post (especially a Shosty cycle by Barshai, and a Beethoven by Blomstedt), you may want to look at BMG music club.  I have purchased several sets cheap -- Beethoven/Szell, Beethoven/Lennie/DG, Mozart Piano Ctos/Uchida.  They also have the Chailly Mahler box.  When they run the right special, I would be able to buy the Chailly box for $39 with no shipping/handling charge (of course, I already own it though). 

I don't listen to enough Schubert to make a real recommendation.  I own two sets by Harnoncourt and Blomstedt that I like.  And eventhough I love Mahler, I have yet to get into Bruckner.  I have lots of Brahms and Dvorak symphony sets if you are interested in them, and many dozens of piano concerto sets from Brahms, Beethoven, and Rachmaninov. 
« Last Edit: May 11, 2007, 04:41:24 PM by sperlsco »
Scott

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2007, 05:09:57 PM »
I don't have any Schubert complete sets, but Harnoncourt's account of the 8th is the best I've heard...and I've heard good reviews of his complete Schubert symphonie box:

The best 9th account, in my opinon is Roy Goodman's very exciting account...the essence of all of Schubert is in that performance.  Again, good reviews for the complete set (but buy only if you like period instruments): 

« Last Edit: May 11, 2007, 05:14:01 PM by Leo K »

Offline Last_Evolution

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2007, 05:53:15 PM »
There's new interesting set of DSCH by Maxim Shostakovich/Prague SO.

http://www.supraphon.com/en/catalogue/on-line-database/detail/?idtitulu=2011327

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2007, 02:57:55 AM »
I would definitely mention EMI's box set of the Richard Strauss tone poems conducted by Rudolf Kempe. Decca has a very good Strauss box as well, employing a number of fine conductors. I believe that Brilliant Classics has reissued Jochum's really fine Dresden set (EMI) of the Bruckner symphonies. It would be pretty difficult to go wrong with those. Brilliant Classics also has the fine Rudolf Barshai Shostakovich box. For the Beethoven symphonies, I like Blomstedt/Staatskapelle Dresden, which I believe is on Berlin Classics. Maybe Brilliant Classics has picked up that set as well.

Barry
« Last Edit: May 12, 2007, 03:17:40 AM by barry guerrero »

Offline sperlsco

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2007, 05:04:12 PM »
I like Blomstedt/Staatskapelle Dresden, which I believe is on Berlin Classics. Maybe Brilliant Classics has picked up that set as well.

Barry

Yes, my copy is a Brilliant Classics release. 
Scott

Offline Damfino

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2007, 09:02:02 PM »
Yep, the Blomstedt Beethoven set is on Brilliant Classics, and can usually be had for approx. $20, making it a steal.

I also recommend Barenboim's Beethoven cycle with the Staatskapelle Berlin.  It is on 6 CDs with the 3 Leonores and the Fidelio overture as filler. 

Speaking of the Staatskapelle Berlin, Otmar Suitner's set of the complete Dvorak symphonies with that orchestra can often be had for less than the price of one regularly-priced CD, which makes it a real steal, too.  I am a big fan of at least 7 of Dvorak's 9; a set of his symphonies is a must.

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2007, 04:07:07 AM »
Yes, the Suitner Dvorak recordings are really good! The Barenboim Beethoven cycle is also really good - IMHO, better than Abbado's hyped-up Berlin Beethoven cycle, which came out just around the same time.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk