Author Topic: Ordering Mahler from Japan  (Read 8601 times)

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
Ordering Mahler from Japan
« on: May 11, 2007, 09:29:46 PM »
I've never ordered from Japan, but I am curious to hear some recordings on the Exton label sometime...especially the new Kobayashi M9 John has said is getting high marks in Japan, or even the earlier Ichiyoshi Inoue and Neumann M9th possibly.

Now, is it really expensive to order from Japan?  Should I try to track these down?  Since I recently discovered how awesome the Bernstein Tanglewood is, I'm thinking I can give my M9 collection a rest for awhile.  But it is tempting to consider the Kobayashi at least.

And where do you guys order these Exton releases...Amazon Japan?

Thanks.

Offline John Kim

Re: Ordering Mahler from Japan
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2007, 09:46:35 PM »
Ordering CDs from Japan is a wonderful experience, except they send the package via Express so the S&H charge is very high (but it arrives in just 3 days!). If you order multiple discs and ask them to send them in one package you can save S&H fee somewhat. But I can tell you, the sound quality of Exton label is outstanding, e.g., Neumann/CPO M9th, Kobayashi/CPO M2, M3. So is their art work.

John,

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2007, 09:49:22 PM »
John, what is your favorite company in Japan to order these from?

The sound quality is what is tempting me...I hear so much good comments about it!

Offline John Kim

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2007, 09:59:45 PM »
www.hmv.co.jp

Even Japanese CDs on major labels like DGG, EMI, sound better than those issued in America and Europe, if they are released by their own domestic divisions.

John,

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2007, 10:13:58 PM »
Thanks!!!  Thank god they translate the pages! 

Temptation got the better of me.  I'm getting the Inoue and Kobayashi M9...I really can't wait to hear these.

« Last Edit: May 11, 2007, 11:28:12 PM by Leo K »

michaelw

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2007, 10:18:54 PM »
www.hmv.co.jp

Even Japanese CDs on major labels like DGG, EMI, sound better than those issued in America and Europe, if they are released by their own domestic divisions.

John,

That's interesting, John. The "Japan pressings" are legends, also in the rock music section, even if I rarely havwe heard one of them. I remember that a special Japan issue of Glenn Gould's Goldberg made me hear this for a first time, but: Do you know what is behind technically? Do they remix or (for original material) use different CD's, manufacturing machines, or whatever?

By the way, there is a new (end of 2006) M6 released by Exton, the Arnhem Philharmonic Orchestra under Martin Sieghart. Quite slow, but good sound and interesting.

Michael

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2007, 02:54:42 AM »
I've been meaning to ask about Martin Sieghart's M6. Please tell us more. He was the guy who gave the world premiere performance of the Samale/Mazzuca performing version of Mahler 10, which I genuinely is the best overall version so far.

Barry

michaelw

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2007, 03:56:13 PM »
I've been meaning to ask about Martin Sieghart's M6. Please tell us more. He was the guy who gave the world premiere performance of the Samale/Mazzuca performing version of Mahler 10, which I genuinely is the best overall version so far.

Barry

I am not a review writer and no expert in reading the score, so I will try to give some basic information and feelings about the M6 of Martin Sieghart/APO.

This M6-SACD was released in February 2007 even if the recording sessions date back to December 2003. Also the (P) and © dates are reported as 2004. The “Arnhem Philharmonic Orchestra” surely is not known very much and it is even more surprising, that the Exton label has produced a SACD with this orchestra and its (better known) chief conductor Martin Sieghart from Vienna. One reason for the Exton engagement might be given by the following facts: Arnhem was known as the base city of the Akzo chemical company. A part of Akzo went to the Japanese Teijin Group. I am mentioning this, since the record clearly is the most sponsored record I have ever seen. Not only that the second page of the booklet is devoted to the special fibre they make their money with, two additional pages list all others sponsors (repeating the top sponsor’s name here and there). Anyway, if this has made possible the connection to Exton and allowed to get T. Ezaki as recording director, then we want to see more CD’s with booklets full of sponsors.

I was curious about this record from the beginning but very sceptical regarding the timings (S/A order): 25:03 – 13:53 – 18:03 – 33:52.

This would be not only on the slower side, but the slowest M6 in my collection. Particularly the Andante takes much longer than usual. But finally my curiosity has won and I think its my best slow M6 up to now.

The first movement from the beginning shows one concept of the recording (my subjective opinion): control the marching, give space to all voices and show the colourfulness of Mahler’s music. The single bass notes of the march in the first two movements all have their own weight, are not simply a basic rhythm. It does not feel as slow as the timing indicates, but far away from faster approaches. At the end of the slower parts, in many approaches it’s like “the march strikes back” – a charging of power, which suddenly breaks through, driving forward with new power. That’s not the approach here. Even in the Finale it takes a while until these forces are totally released. I think it will depend on your taste and your mood what you prefer. Personally I often better like the driving force of this symphony, on such days I will surely not listen to this one.

However, the M6 – maybe more than the others – will never have THE best and most appropriate performance and concept. But it could be part of Sieghart’s approach to leave the fight between the two worlds of this symphony open as long as possible.
Consequently,the Scherzo shows no acceleration at the end, but also no slow down, it has the same tempo and control. The “Alma” parts of this symphony are played in a very detailed, colourful way (e.g. all woodwind parts), which is supported by the high-end sound. All voices and lines seem to be emphasized, many dynamic changes can be heard. By that even the slow Andante is more exciting than some faster performances.

The orchestra surely is playing at its edge, the clarity of sound seems to show anything (only in the crescendos I have some reservations, but this might be more a result of my amplifier than of the SACD).

There are nearly no reviews up to now, I only found this excerpt on the JPC page:

Stereoplay 05 / 07: "Die neue Mehrkanal-Produktion des Philharmonischen Orchesters von Arnheim mutet wie eine kleine Sensation an: Unter der präzisen Leitung von Martin Sieghart schafft sie nicht nur den Sprung zu den Referenzen des Katalogs, sondern bietet zudem eine audiophile Klangqualität, die selbst abgebrüht High-Endern den Atem rauben dürfte."

„The new multi-channel production of the APO looks like a small sensation. Under the precise direction of Martin Sieghart it does not only jump to the references in the catalogue, but delivers an audiophile sound quality, which might catch the breath of even hard-boiled high-enders.”

Michael

Offline John Kim

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2007, 04:06:22 PM »
Michael,

Thanks for your review. It sounds alike a very good M6th indeed....

John,

pincopallino

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2007, 06:49:18 PM »
BE CAREFUL!! HMV Japan uses an old type of certificate to encrypt the communication with the server, a 512-bit encryption that can be decrypted in 10 minutes or less if the communication is intercepted. I have written them about this problem and the only answer I got was that my browser was "overreacting" (!) If you place an order via their website, your credit card data are potentially exposed to stealing.

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2007, 11:50:35 PM »
Yes Michael, thanks very much for that review.  This 6th DOES sound good.  My interest is captured.

--Leo K

« Last Edit: May 14, 2007, 05:35:16 AM by Leo K »

Offline sperlsco

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2007, 03:20:06 PM »
BE CAREFUL!! HMV Japan uses an old type of certificate to encrypt the communication with the server, a 512-bit encryption that can be decrypted in 10 minutes or less if the communication is intercepted. I have written them about this problem and the only answer I got was that my browser was "overreacting" (!) If you place an order via their website, your credit card data are potentially exposed to stealing.

Sorry to get off on a tangent here, but I am interested in this.  How would the communication be intercepted?  Is it if you are on a shared/public network (i.e. a wireless Starbucks connection)?  How about if you are at home or the office? 

...And to add On-Topic content to this thread, I have placed a half-dozen orders with HMV.jp.  Their selection is second to none.  I also highly recommend JPC for US-based consumers looking for European releases.  As for the Exton label, I have had very good luck with my purchases from them.  Of course most/all of my purchases have been the Czech PO, which all but guarantees a minimum level of excellence.  IIRC, I have had more mixed results with the Japanese label Fontec. 
Scott

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2007, 04:23:12 AM »
Welllll, I wish that petro-chemical company would sponsor a commercial recording of the Samale/Mazzuca Mahler 10 with Sieghart, since he already knows it. That would be truly useful - the version deserves to be heard.

pincopallino

« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2007, 05:52:11 AM »
Sorry to get off on a tangent here, but I am interested in this.  How would the communication be intercepted?  Is it if you are on a shared/public network (i.e. a wireless Starbucks connection)?  How about if you are at home or the office? 
Every communication on the internet can be intercepted, unless you use a VPN (Virtual Private Network). What makes a transaction secure, is the encryption: even if the communication is intercepted, the content cannot be decrypted. Now, if the electronic certificate used to encrypt the transaction is weak, the communication is no longer secure.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk