Author Topic: 100 years ago today: USA premier of M8, Stokie and the Philadelphians  (Read 4753 times)

Offline barry guerrero

Re: 100 years ago today: USA premier of M8, Stokie and the Philadelphians
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2016, 05:48:34 PM »
My understanding is that Lucy Hickenlooper, aka Olga Samaroff, was the one who convinced Stokie to smuggle the score of M8 out of Europe (WWI era). God only knows how she got her hands on it. It's also my understanding that ALL of the parts had to be copied out from that score. If that's true, that's an incredible side story to this equally incredible event. 

Offline waderice

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2016, 06:40:07 PM »
My understanding is that Lucy Hickenlooper, aka Olga Samaroff, was the one who convinced Stokie to smuggle the score of M8 out of Europe (WWI era). God only knows how she got her hands on it. It's also my understanding that ALL of the parts had to be copied out from that score. If that's true, that's an incredible side story to this equally incredible event.

Quite possibly another folklore sidebar to add to the numerous other ones already existing about M8, though we may never know the truth.  Whatever the case, I'll be hearing the Sunday March 13 matinee performance, and should have a report to post here afterwards.

Wade

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2016, 08:32:39 AM »
LUCKY YOU!   ;D

Offline waderice

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2016, 01:52:34 PM »
I just found out that the NPR affiliate for Philadelphia, WRTI, will be broadcasting live, the Sunday afternoon matinee of M8, at 2:00, EDT.  Make sure you set your clocks ahead one hour so you won't miss out on the live broadcast.  Here is the link for details if you care to listen in:

http://wrti.org/post/live-wrti-philadelphians-yannick-mahlers-symphony-thousand-march-13th-2-pm?fb_ref=Default&fb_source=message#stream/0

Wade

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2016, 04:32:45 AM »
Awesome! I'll be all over that.  8)

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2016, 06:37:35 PM »
That was simply the best Part I I've ever heard. Now Part II to go yet.

.   .   .   well that was pretty incredible. Stephanie Blythe's substitute did just fine. Even Anthony Dean Griffey didn't sound too awful. It must have been unbelievable from a really good seat.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2016, 07:57:21 PM by barry guerrero »

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2016, 10:41:48 PM »
So yes, Stokowski and Olga Samaroff (e.g. Lucy Hickenlooper)  'smuggled' the score to M8 out of Munich in August of 1914. They had to get Stokie out of there because he was a British 'subject', and the war broke out in late June. He could have been interred for the duration of the war (or some such nonsense). Since the war was still going in 1916 (the year of the premiere), I think it's a possibility that the parts had to be copied out in the U.S. However, America didn't enter the war until sometime in 1917. Therefore, it may be possible that Universal Edition was able to ship them. It's just so weird to think of Stokowski running around with Greta Garbo  in the late '30s. He later married Gloria Vanderbilt.

http://www.stokowski.org/Leopold%20Stokowski%20Biography.htm
« Last Edit: March 14, 2016, 10:44:31 PM by barry guerrero »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk